Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Request for pictures; Please : )

  • Scot Leibacher
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 28 8:59 PM
      I understand the caution, but on a recent trip from Indiana to go canoing in
      the Everglades, my brother and I strung 2 Henessey Hammocks between
      the luggage rack of his Subura Outback and the luggage rack of my Suzuki XL7.
      We had approx. 350 pounds hanging between the two vehicles.
      We setup this way for 4 nights of the trip without any problems.

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 28 11:12 PM
        I think my pic might be the one you are refering to.

        jamie in az

        wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > There are a LOT of pictures on here and at whiteblaze!!! I can't
        seem
        > to find the ones I am looking for. I know somebody knows exactly
        where
        > the pictures I am looking for are; so, please help me and post the
        > links :)
        >
        > I'm looking for pictures where the hammock has been hung using a
        > car/truck as one or more of the anchors. I remember viewing a
        picture
        > where the hammock was hung using the bumber of a truck, a post,
        and a
        > tree(I think). Got a link?
        >
        > Thanks a bunch,
        >
        > Craig Wilson
        >
        > P.S. Here is one link I found. This method does not look like it
        would
        > support much weight.
        b=1

      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 29 5:40 AM
          It's pretty easy once you know how to do it. :-)

          Bill in Houston

          > I was trying to figure out how to explain free body diagrams to the
          list.
        • Craig
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 29 8:28 AM
            Over the roof does seem like a better idea. I would be scared about
            cutting/abrading my window trim with the rope and perhaps even denting
            my roof.

            As far as anchoring the rope goes, I suppose one could tie the rope to
            a stake and then anchor the stake by rolling the tire on top of the
            stake. Or perhaps tie the rope around a rock and then drive onto the
            rope. The rock would prevent the rope from sliding under the tire.

            I wonder if one could use two trailer hitches, two poles, and two of
            those spreader bars that Youngblood has to pitch a dual hammock
            campsite? Then the roof racks could be used to pitch the tarps. . .

            Regards,

            Craig Wilson

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 29 9:30 AM
              Craig <thecreekfisher@...> wrote: .
              ..I wonder if one could use two trailer hitches, two poles, and two of
              those spreader bars that Youngblood has to pitch a dual hammock
              campsite? Then the roof racks could be used to pitch the tarps. . .

              Regards,

              Craig Wilson

              *** now that sounds like a plan. ...tim

              <zippydooda@...> wrote:

              > It's pretty easy once you know how to do it. :-)
              >
              > Bill in Houston
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@>
              > wrote:
              > > I was trying to figure out how to explain free body diagrams to
              the
              > list.

              tim garner

            • sdbrehm
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 29 2:05 PM
                Another thing to remember, put some padding between your rope/strap
                and the paint. Whether attached to the rack or led over and down, you
                have a good chance of wearing away at least the clear coat from
                friction where the rope goes over the edge of the roof. Don't ask how
                I know this...

                Scott from San Diego

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <thecreekfisher@...> wrote:

                > Over the roof does seem like a better idea. I would be scared about
                > cutting/abrading my window trim with the rope and perhaps even denting
                > my roof.
                >
                > As far as anchoring the rope goes, I suppose one could tie the rope to
                > a stake and then anchor the stake by rolling the tire on top of the
                > stake. Or perhaps tie the rope around a rock and then drive onto the
                > rope. The rock would prevent the rope from sliding under the tire.
                >
                > I wonder if one could use two trailer hitches, two poles, and two of
                > those spreader bars that Youngblood has to pitch a dual hammock
                > campsite? Then the roof racks could be used to pitch the tarps. . .
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Craig Wilson

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 29 6:10 PM
                  As far as anchoring the rope goes, I suppose one could tie the rope to
                  a stake and then anchor the stake by rolling the tire on top of the
                  stake.

                  Tie a loop around the ire on the ground.
                  No moving necessary.

                  Ralph

                • Craig
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 30 11:14 AM
                    That's it!!! Thanks!!!

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

                    > I think my pic might be the one you are refering to.

                    > jamie in az
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <thecreekfisher@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hello,
                    > >
                    > > There are a LOT of pictures on here and at whiteblaze!!! I can't
                    > seem
                    > > to find the ones I am looking for. I know somebody knows exactly
                    > where
                    > > the pictures I am looking for are; so, please help me and post
                    the
                    > > links :)
                    > >
                    > > I'm looking for pictures where the hammock has been hung using a
                    > > car/truck as one or more of the anchors. I remember viewing a
                    > picture
                    > > where the hammock was hung using the bumber of a truck, a post,
                    > and a
                    > > tree(I think). Got a link?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks a bunch,
                    > >
                    > > Craig Wilson
                    > >
                    > > P.S. Here is one link I found. This method does not look like it
                    > would
                    > > support much weight.
                    > b=1

                  • Rat
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 30 7:47 PM
                      Hey Craig, I have several pictures of single and double guy one pole
                      hangs and some off the bumber of my truck in my album here:

                      I hope this helps.