Re: forgotten intro? Now Packgoats

  • tanpuma
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 28 5:43 PM

      > Dawn was also asking about how to "rent" and try out hiking with a
      > packgoat. There is another Yahoo Group - Look up "packgoat" here in
      > Yahoo. There are some folks there who sell escourted trips Out West

      I have seen some advertised, but I am strictly low budget guy,
      Unfortunately hiking LD with assistance is the only way I can do big
      miles. A goat/llama/mule would be maybe the only way for me to
      through hike. Doing the usual 13-14 miles without a pack would be
      challenge enough for me.

      There was a woman at my church who has just bought 2 goats, but I
      think they are still young. I forgot who she was, but she was wanting
      to train them to be hiking assist animals.
    • tanpuma
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 28 5:54 PM

        > Renting goats is pretty big business out west. Planning a trip with
        > an outfitter would be the best way to get familiar with the way to
        > do it and wether or not you will like it. The Packgoat list group
        > are a good bunch of people and will welcome just about anyone who
        > wants to try goat packing. They have regular campouts like we have
        > here and that would be a good place to make connections. And you
        > don't need a goat to attend :).

        It seems like the thing to do is visit the packgoat group, and attend
        a campout where it may be possible to packgoat with the owner present.

        I actually hadn't even thought of goats as pack animals, only heard of
        llammas and mules. that is until I read the hammock newsletter.

        Liam
      • Dawn Harkins
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
          Wow, Rat, excellent information, thank you so much!!
          I'll be checking all this out.

          Dawn in Tahoe

          http://mail.yahoo.com