Request for pictures; Please : )

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 28, 2006
      Hello,

      There are a LOT of pictures on here and at whiteblaze!!! I can't seem
      to find the ones I am looking for. I know somebody knows exactly where
      the pictures I am looking for are; so, please help me and post the
      links :)

      I'm looking for pictures where the hammock has been hung using a
      car/truck as one or more of the anchors. I remember viewing a picture
      where the hammock was hung using the bumber of a truck, a post, and a
      tree(I think). Got a link?

      Thanks a bunch,

      Craig Wilson

      P.S. Here is one link I found. This method does not look like it would
      support much weight.
    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 28, 2006
        Ya, if I were going to do this with my car, I'd look at the loads
        pretty carefully. Rather than tying to the roof rack, I'd go on over
        the top of the car and tie to the wheel and use the roof rack only for
        lateral positioning of the rope, if anything. Holding 100 lb of bikes
        and kayaks is different from holding a 300 lb side load from a
        hammock...

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <thecreekfisher@...>
        wrote:
        > P.S. Here is one link I found. This method does not look like it
        would
        > support much weight.
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 28, 2006
          wrote:
          > I remember viewing a picture
          > where the hammock was hung using the bumber of a truck, a post, and
          > tree(I think). Got a link?

          I remember the one you're talking about...not sure where it is. This
          one is similar, though:
          http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

          Just use a bumper instead of the other tree.
        • Craig
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 28, 2006
            Thanks. . . I love pics :)

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <thecreekfisher@>
            > wrote:
            > > I remember viewing a picture
            > > where the hammock was hung using the bumber of a truck, a post,
            and
            > > tree(I think). Got a link?
            >
            > I remember the one you're talking about...not sure where it is.
            This
            > one is similar, though:
            > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm
            >
            > Just use a bumper instead of the other tree.

          • Ray
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 28, 2006
              Bill,

              That's a real good idea - laying the rope over the racks but tying it
              to the wheel or some other part.

              Car racks are designed to hold weight Vertically (from the top down)
              not pulling from the sides. Your idea should solve this problem.

              <zippydooda@...> wrote:

              > Ya, if I were going to do this with my car, I'd look at the loads
              > pretty carefully. Rather than tying to the roof rack, I'd go on over
              > the top of the car and tie to the wheel and use the roof rack only for
              > lateral positioning of the rope, if anything. Holding 100 lb of bikes
              > and kayaks is different from holding a 300 lb side load from a
              > hammock...
              >
              > Bill in Houston
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <thecreekfisher@>
              > wrote:
              > > P.S. Here is one link I found. This method does not look like it
              > would
              > > support much weight.

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 28, 2006
                On 3/28/06, Ray <raydiaz8@...> wrote:

                > Bill,
                >
                > That's a real good idea - laying the rope over the racks but tying it to
                > the wheel or some other part.
                >
                > Car racks are designed to hold weight Vertically (from the top down)not
                > pulling from the sides. Your idea should solve this problem.

                Warning, you are still putting a significant vertical and horizontal load on
                your rack. if you are using the rack to redirect the tension (down) then the
                horizontal load is about the same.

                Ralph

              • Bill in Houston
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 28, 2006
                  Sorry, yeah, I was not clear enough. In my scenario, the rope is
                  lying on the roof of the car, not across the tops of the racks.
                  Thanks Ralph.

                  Bill in Houston

                  <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

                  > On 3/28/06, Ray <raydiaz8@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Bill,
                  > >
                  > > That's a real good idea - laying the rope over the racks but
                  tying it to
                  > > the wheel or some other part.
                  > >
                  > > Car racks are designed to hold weight Vertically (from the top
                  down)not
                  > > pulling from the sides. Your idea should solve this problem.
                  > >

                  > Warning, you are still putting a significant vertical and
                  horizontal load on
                  > your rack. if you are using the rack to redirect the tension (down)
                  then the
                  > horizontal load is about the same.
                  >
                  > Ralph

                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 28, 2006
                    Whooo, good.

                    I was trying to figure out how to explain free body diagrams to the list.

                    Across the roof distributes the force and should work wonderfully!!
                    Ralph

                    On 3/28/06, Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:

                    > Sorry, yeah, I was not clear enough. In my scenario, the rope is
                    > lying on the roof of the car, not across the tops of the racks.
                    > Thanks Ralph.
                    >
                    > Bill in Houston
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
                    > <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > On 3/28/06, Ray <raydiaz8@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Bill,
                    > > >
                    > > > That's a real good idea - laying the rope over the racks but
                    > tying it to
                    > > > the wheel or some other part.
                    > > >
                    > > > Car racks are designed to hold weight Vertically (from the top
                    > down)not
                    > > > pulling from the sides. Your idea should solve this problem.
                    > > >

                    > > Warning, you are still putting a significant vertical and
                    > horizontal load on
                    > > your rack. if you are using the rack to redirect the tension (down)
                    > then the
                    > > horizontal load is about the same.
                    > >
                    > > Ralph

                  • Scot Leibacher
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 28, 2006
                      I understand the caution, but on a recent trip from Indiana to go canoing in
                      the Everglades, my brother and I strung 2 Henessey Hammocks between
                      the luggage rack of his Subura Outback and the luggage rack of my Suzuki XL7.
                      We had approx. 350 pounds hanging between the two vehicles.
                      We setup this way for 4 nights of the trip without any problems.

                      <zippydooda@...> wrote:

                      > Ya, if I were going to do this with my car, I'd look at the loads
                      > pretty carefully. Rather than tying to the roof rack, I'd go on over
                      > the top of the car and tie to the wheel and use the roof rack only for
                      > lateral positioning of the rope, if anything. Holding 100 lb of bikes
                      > and kayaks is different from holding a 300 lb side load from a
                      > hammock...
                      >
                      > Bill in Houston
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <thecreekfisher@>
                      > wrote:
                      > > P.S. Here is one link I found. This method does not look like it
                      > would
                      > > support much weight.

                      Gsi outdoors Happy camper Outdoors

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 28, 2006
                        I think my pic might be the one you are refering to.

                        jamie in az

                        wrote:

                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > There are a LOT of pictures on here and at whiteblaze!!! I can't
                        seem
                        > to find the ones I am looking for. I know somebody knows exactly
                        where
                        > the pictures I am looking for are; so, please help me and post the
                        > links :)
                        >
                        > I'm looking for pictures where the hammock has been hung using a
                        > car/truck as one or more of the anchors. I remember viewing a
                        picture
                        > where the hammock was hung using the bumber of a truck, a post,
                        and a
                        > tree(I think). Got a link?
                        >
                        > Thanks a bunch,
                        >
                        > Craig Wilson
                        >
                        > P.S. Here is one link I found. This method does not look like it
                        would
                        > support much weight.
                        b=1

                      • Bill in Houston
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
                          It's pretty easy once you know how to do it. :-)

                          Bill in Houston

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
                            Over the roof does seem like a better idea. I would be scared about
                            cutting/abrading my window trim with the rope and perhaps even denting
                            my roof.

                            As far as anchoring the rope goes, I suppose one could tie the rope to
                            a stake and then anchor the stake by rolling the tire on top of the
                            stake. Or perhaps tie the rope around a rock and then drive onto the
                            rope. The rock would prevent the rope from sliding under the tire.

                            I wonder if one could use two trailer hitches, two poles, and two of
                            those spreader bars that Youngblood has to pitch a dual hammock
                            campsite? Then the roof racks could be used to pitch the tarps. . .

                            Regards,

                            Craig Wilson

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
                              Craig <thecreekfisher@...> wrote: .
                              ..I wonder if one could use two trailer hitches, two poles, and two of
                              those spreader bars that Youngblood has to pitch a dual hammock
                              campsite? Then the roof racks could be used to pitch the tarps. . .

                              Regards,

                              Craig Wilson

                              *** now that sounds like a plan. ...tim

                              <zippydooda@...> wrote:

                              > It's pretty easy once you know how to do it. :-)
                              >
                              > Bill in Houston
                              >
                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@>
                              > wrote:
                              > > I was trying to figure out how to explain free body diagrams to
                              the
                              > list.

                              tim garner

                            • sdbrehm
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
                                Another thing to remember, put some padding between your rope/strap
                                and the paint. Whether attached to the rack or led over and down, you
                                have a good chance of wearing away at least the clear coat from
                                friction where the rope goes over the edge of the roof. Don't ask how
                                I know this...

                                Scott from San Diego

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <thecreekfisher@...> wrote:

                                > Over the roof does seem like a better idea. I would be scared about
                                > cutting/abrading my window trim with the rope and perhaps even denting
                                > my roof.
                                >
                                > As far as anchoring the rope goes, I suppose one could tie the rope to
                                > a stake and then anchor the stake by rolling the tire on top of the
                                > stake. Or perhaps tie the rope around a rock and then drive onto the
                                > rope. The rock would prevent the rope from sliding under the tire.
                                >
                                > I wonder if one could use two trailer hitches, two poles, and two of
                                > those spreader bars that Youngblood has to pitch a dual hammock
                                > campsite? Then the roof racks could be used to pitch the tarps. . .
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                >
                                > Craig Wilson

                              • Ralph Oborn
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
                                  As far as anchoring the rope goes, I suppose one could tie the rope to
                                  a stake and then anchor the stake by rolling the tire on top of the
                                  stake.

                                  Tie a loop around the ire on the ground.
                                  No moving necessary.

                                  Ralph

                                • Craig
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 30, 2006
                                    That's it!!! Thanks!!!

                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

                                    > I think my pic might be the one you are refering to.

                                    > jamie in az
                                    >
                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <thecreekfisher@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hello,
                                    > >
                                    > > There are a LOT of pictures on here and at whiteblaze!!! I can't
                                    > seem
                                    > > to find the ones I am looking for. I know somebody knows exactly
                                    > where
                                    > > the pictures I am looking for are; so, please help me and post
                                    the
                                    > > links :)
                                    > >
                                    > > I'm looking for pictures where the hammock has been hung using a
                                    > > car/truck as one or more of the anchors. I remember viewing a
                                    > picture
                                    > > where the hammock was hung using the bumber of a truck, a post,
                                    > and a
                                    > > tree(I think). Got a link?
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks a bunch,
                                    > >
                                    > > Craig Wilson
                                    > >
                                    > > P.S. Here is one link I found. This method does not look like it
                                    > would
                                    > > support much weight.
                                    > b=1

                                  • Rat
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 30, 2006
                                      Hey Craig, I have several pictures of single and double guy one pole
                                      hangs and some off the bumber of my truck in my album here:

                                      I hope this helps.