Re: [Hammock Camping] What's the Strangest place you've hung your Hammock?

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 27, 2006
      Rick <ra1@...> wrote: http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

      Simple little trick of physics and geometry...

      Rick

      . rick, your stick trick reminds me of something i did once. to put the hammock where i wanted it, one of the two trees that where at the right distance was too small & would bend w/ the hammock (& my body weight) pulling on it.
      so i tyed one end of the hammock to the larger tree as normal, then wraped the webbing around the small tree a few times, then ran the webbing on to another large tree.
      that last large tree would have been to far & too long of a strech for the webbing. but the small tree provided an upright just where i needed it. ...tim

      tim garner

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 27, 2006
        Man, that looks like a magic trick or something -- like he's holding
        the pole with invisible string! haha

        Cool.

        > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm
        >
        > Simple little trick of physics and geometry...
        >
        > Rick
        >
        > Ray wrote:
        > > Rick,
        > >
        > > Excuse my ignorance, but what's the "unsupported stick trick?"
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Ray
        > >
        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@> wrote:

        > >>- between the supports of a goat pen on an exotic weapon range
        (details
        > >>not available - don't ask)
        > >>- from one side of a military transport aircraft to the other,
        crossing
        > >>the ocean, bottom bumping into a large box of grenades
        > >>- using the unsupported stick trick
        > >>- next to another hammock tied between the same two trees and at the
        > >>same level.
        > >>- at the control station of an amateur radio field day, stretched
        > >>between my jeep and the antenna
        > >>-
        > >>
        > >>However, my stories pale in comparison with Ed's
        > >>
        > >>Rick

      • Dylan Anderson
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 28, 2006
          I don't know that this is all that strange of a
          location, but it is certainly my favorite place to
          hang...

          http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_8969804/43ab/__sr_/474a.jpg?grIlaKEBTLKqOSht

          That drop off is much more than it looks, and there
          water about 15 feet below me. I have also hung a
          friend's hennessy in that spot, and put mine further
          down hung off of cams. I have also used my climbing
          gear to hang in other locations, as well as out here
          in the desert, I have wrapped my lines over the tops
          of particularly large boulders, then tied off on the
          back side to sticks, bush bases or other large rocks
          jammed in below the boulders (sorry, don't have any
          pics). A combination of the friction and the
          redirecting of the force, first up, then across, then
          back down the far side of the boulder means that the
          stick, rock, or bush does not have to be particularly
          large. The only thing I add is another rope tied to
          the hammock line, then tied off to either side so as
          to keep the hammock line from rolling off the boulder
          to either side. The best way I could describe it is to
          imagin something akin to snow chains on a tire with
          the hammock line being the sole strap running parallel
          with the treadand only one cross belt.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Ray
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 28, 2006
            Very cool, Dylan.

            I always wondered why people used those clunky Porta-Ledges instead of
            hammocks. You sleep tied in with a harness, right?

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@...> wrote:

            > I don't know that this is all that strange of a
            > location, but it is certainly my favorite place to
            > hang...

            http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_8969804/43ab/__sr_/474a.jpg?grIlaKEBTLKqOSht

            > That drop off is much more than it looks, and there
            > water about 15 feet below me. I have also hung a
            > friend's hennessy in that spot, and put mine further
            > down hung off of cams. I have also used my climbing
            > gear to hang in other locations, as well as out here
            > in the desert, I have wrapped my lines over the tops
            > of particularly large boulders, then tied off on the
            > back side to sticks, bush bases or other large rocks
            > jammed in below the boulders (sorry, don't have any
            > pics). A combination of the friction and the
            > redirecting of the force, first up, then across, then
            > back down the far side of the boulder means that the
            > stick, rock, or bush does not have to be particularly
            > large. The only thing I add is another rope tied to
            > the hammock line, then tied off to either side so as
            > to keep the hammock line from rolling off the boulder
            > to either side. The best way I could describe it is to
            > imagin something akin to snow chains on a tire with
            > the hammock line being the sole strap running parallel
            > with the treadand only one cross belt.
            >
            > Though I may die tomorrow, at least I can do it with the knowledge
            that once I did know true love -unknown

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 28, 2006
              I tried this method also and it really wasn't that difficult.

              jamie d