Hennessy's overhead line

  • BOBMACDOWELL@WEBTV.NET
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 27, 2006
      Quite a while back i read some threads on here about cutting the
      overhead line on the hammock. This was to be able to use the hammock to
      lounge around in without having to deal with the line being in the way.
      Then when you needed it hooked back up their was a carabiner that hooked
      to a loop tied in the line and a short piece of line added.
      I can't find who wrote that but i'm interested in trying this
      myself. Is it worth cutting the line or did issues come into play after
      this was done. Is the whipping on the ends strong enough to hold without
      the overhead line attached. How much weight is transferred thru this
      line so i can size the carbineer. Would a carabiner with a working load
      of 300 lbs be enough. Before i go cutting the line i would like to know
      if this actually worked. Does anybody remember the discussion.
    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 27, 2006
        I remember it. I think Coy was involved somehow... I can't think of
        any good keywords. It was definitely quite a while back. Hopefully
        the OP will come forward.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, BOBMACDOWELL@... wrote:

        > Quite a while back i read some threads on here about cutting the
        > overhead line on the hammock. This was to be able to use the
        hammock to
        > lounge around in without having to deal with the line being in the
        way.
        > Then when you needed it hooked back up their was a carabiner that
        hooked
        > to a loop tied in the line and a short piece of line added.
        > I can't find who wrote that but i'm interested in trying this
        > myself. Is it worth cutting the line or did issues come into play
        after
        > this was done. Is the whipping on the ends strong enough to hold
        without
        > the overhead line attached. How much weight is transferred thru this
        > line so i can size the carbineer. Would a carabiner with a working
        load
        > of 300 lbs be enough. Before i go cutting the line i would like to
        know
        > if this actually worked. Does anybody remember the discussion.

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 27, 2006
          Hi Bob, I have several pics up in a file labled Coy Boy's Stuff.
          just click on files or use this link if you are on email. If you
          find the thread you will see that the hammock i modified was hitting
          the ground and i was adding length to the bed so it would not sag so
          low and being able to unhook was just a side benifit.

          20Stuff/

          I have used the hammock overnight several time now and it is holding
          fine. I used this hammock on the last hike with Dave and Wayne. It
          now needs the fly Dave made me because it is quite a bit longer than
          it was. At first I was a bit leary my rope might break as i just
          used some plane 1.4 nylon rope i had on hand (not even sure what the
          load rating is). but some of the load is transfered to the hammock
          body in the HH so i guess it is OK.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, BOBMACDOWELL@... wrote:

          > Quite a while back i read some threads on here about cutting
          the
          > overhead line on the hammock. This was to be able to use the
          hammock to
          > lounge around in without having to deal with the line being in the
          way.
          > Then when you needed it hooked back up their was a carabiner that
          hooked
          > to a loop tied in the line and a short piece of line added.
          > I can't find who wrote that but i'm interested in trying this
          > myself. Is it worth cutting the line or did issues come into play
          after
          > this was done. Is the whipping on the ends strong enough to hold
          without
          > the overhead line attached. How much weight is transferred thru
          this
          > line so i can size the carbineer. Would a carabiner with a working
          load
          > of 300 lbs be enough. Before i go cutting the line i would like to
          know
          > if this actually worked. Does anybody remember the discussion.

        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 27, 2006
            If you make a small hole in the bugnet at the head end, you could run
            the line thru there, and then through the foot opening, and reconnect
            the ridgeline without using the bugnet. Still flip it over and sleep
            on the fabric, but you could have the benefits of a ridgeline.

            Just make the hole right next to the fabric seam to reduce stress on
            the bugnet...any reason this won't work?
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 27, 2006
              On 3/27/06, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:

              > If you make a small hole in the bugnet at the head end, you could run the
              > line thru there, and then through the foot opening, and reconnect the
              > ridgeline without using the bugnet. Still flip it over and sleep on the
              > fabric, but you could have the benefits of a ridgeline.

              Idaho skeeters are smart!! They will find that little hole and swarm in!
              The rest of you people will probably be alright. :]

              Ralph

              PS
              In this scenario can you use the inverted bug net to hold a pad up to your
              bottom?

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 27, 2006
                no doubt...kinda wonder why the folks are just the opposite:')

                on the netting holding the pad. yes it works for ccf pads. But i
                was hoping it would hold a down sleeping bag under me in just the
                right position. holds it fine but it smushes it flatternaflitter.

                Coy Boy

                <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

                > On 3/27/06, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > If you make a small hole in the bugnet at the head end, you
                could run the
                > > line thru there, and then through the foot opening, and
                reconnect the
                > > ridgeline without using the bugnet. Still flip it over and
                sleep on the
                > > fabric, but you could have the benefits of a ridgeline.
                > >

                > Idaho skeeters are smart!! They will find that little hole and
                swarm in!
                > The rest of you people will probably be alright. :]
                >
                > Ralph
                >
                > PS
                > In this scenario can you use the inverted bug net to hold a pad up
                to your
                > bottom?

              • kbwaddy
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 27, 2006
                  explain to me how this works, the bug net is on the bottom, underneath the
                  hammock? isn't the bug net like 20 inches shorter than the hammock fabric? i
                  don't understand how this would work. please clarify.

                  > no doubt...kinda wonder why the folks are just the opposite:')
                  >
                  > on the netting holding the pad. yes it works for ccf pads. But i
                  > was hoping it would hold a down sleeping bag under me in just the
                  > right position. holds it fine but it smushes it flatternaflitter.
                  >
                  > Coy Boy
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
                  > <Ralph.oborn@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > On 3/27/06, jwj32542 <jwj32542@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > If you make a small hole in the bugnet at the head end, you
                  > could run the
                  > > > line thru there, and then through the foot opening, and
                  > reconnect the
                  > > > ridgeline without using the bugnet. Still flip it over and
                  > sleep on the
                  > > > fabric, but you could have the benefits of a ridgeline.
                  > > >

                  > > Idaho skeeters are smart!! They will find that little hole and
                  > swarm in!
                  > > The rest of you people will probably be alright. :]
                  > >
                  > > Ralph
                  > >
                  > > PS
                  > > In this scenario can you use the inverted bug net to hold a pad up
                  > to your
                  > > bottom?

                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 27, 2006

                    > holds it fine but it smushes it flatternaflitter.

                    Y'all got flat flitters in Alabama?! Our flitters are only flatter
                    when they ain't flutterin. 'Cep the fitter flitters - they're usually
                    flatter than the fatter flitters, which don't flutter much. And the
                    mother flutters, but that's a whole 'nother story.
                  • Coy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 27, 2006
                      OK, I'll put up a pic in a sec which shows the netting on the
                      underside. As you will see it is also beside me in the air. I
                      imagin it is being stretched pretty good. Like I said, i put my
                      down sleeping bag in it just to see how it would work and it smushed
                      it real good so I decided it was not the ideal way to use it. Next
                      time i may try to unhook but leave the netting on the top side, not
                      flipped, and see if it seems like i am damaging the netting by
                      laying directly on it. Like I said, i made mine where it would
                      unhook to lenthen the ridge line, not to use it without the ridge
                      line. Full size 3 mp file headed your way (in files). let me know
                      what you think.

                      Coy Boy

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kbwaddy" <kbwaddy@...> wrote:

                      > explain to me how this works, the bug net is on the bottom,
                      underneath the
                      > hammock? isn't the bug net like 20 inches shorter than the hammock
                      fabric? i
                      > don't understand how this would work. please clarify.
                      >

                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > no doubt...kinda wonder why the folks are just the opposite:')
                      > >
                      > > on the netting holding the pad. yes it works for ccf pads. But
                      > > was hoping it would hold a down sleeping bag under me in just
                      the
                      > > right position. holds it fine but it smushes it
                      flatternaflitter.

                      > > Coy Boy
                      > >
                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
                      > > <Ralph.oborn@> wrote:

                      > > could run the
                      > > reconnect the
                      > > sleep on the
                      > > > >

                      > > > Idaho skeeters are smart!! They will find that little hole
                      and
                      > > swarm in!
                      > > > The rest of you people will probably be alright. :]
                      > > >
                      > > > Ralph
                      > > >
                      > > > PS
                      > > > In this scenario can you use the inverted bug net to hold a
                      pad up
                      > > to your
                      > > > bottom?

                    • Coy
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 27, 2006
                        Actually i'm not sure what a flitter is but ive heard the sayin all my
                        life. i think it is a pankcake or perhaps one of those cakes you
                        find out in the pasture when the cows got the trots...you know really
                        flat when they dry. Oh and butterflies do flitter about but leave my
                        moma out of it:')

                        Coy Boy