masked invaders visit my hammock

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 26 6:34 PM
      while at south mt state park, nc, my camping friend & i left our camp
      to stand around the fire & visit w/ other campers that had invited us
      over. (they tempted us w/ 15 bean chilie & fried country ham)
      when we returned to our hammock camp, i senced the need to shine
      my head lamp on the creek next to my hammock. sure enough, there was a
      coon making his way across through the cold water.
      i knew the racoons where plentful & bold at this camp site so i had
      been warning my friend to be sure & secure his food before leaving.
      but...ya know... we all make mistakes, & i made one that i had
      made before. i forgot about the small bag of trail snacks, hanging
      on my pack belt.
      that rascal had chewed a ragged hole in the bottom of the bag &
      started to chew into the baggies of almonds, banana chips, & dried
      beef nuggets. we must have arived just as he was geeting started,
      because i know it wouldn`t have taken long for him to do more than
      that. but he wasn`t giving up with-out a fight... he drug the near
      empty pack 6 or 7 ft, from under my hammock to the edge of the creek
      bank. he wasn`t finished, & wanted to take it w/ him!
      i got to learn to remove that snack bag & put it w/ my other food as
      soon as i get to camp! ...tim
    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 27 1:03 PM
        but he wasn`t giving up with-out a fight... he drug the
        > near
        > empty pack 6 or 7 ft, from under my hammock to the edge of the
        > creek
        > bank. he wasn`t finished, & wanted to take it w/ him!
        > i got to learn to remove that snack bag & put it w/ my other
        > food as
        > soon as i get to camp! ...tim

        Once I was camping in a well used site in Ocala NF. I unloaded my
        pack and walked about 20 yards to fetch some water. A raccoon grabbed
        my clothing bag and and started running through a patch of thick scrub
        brush. He only gave up after it snagged on a branch. I found him
        trying to release the cordlock and scared him off. It was funny after
        I got my clothes back.

        Brian
        T-BACK
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 27 6:03 PM
          the guy w/ me was amased that the coon was strong enough to drag a pack, even though it was near empty. i told him that was no problem for a coon. now he understands why i sometimes refer to them as mini-bears.

          opnheartscrub@... wrote: .Once I was camping in a well used site in Ocala NF. I unloaded my
          pack and walked about 20 yards to fetch some water. A raccoon grabbed
          my clothing bag and and started running through a patch of thick scrub
          brush. He only gave up after it snagged on a branch. I found him
          trying to release the cordlock and scared him off. It was funny after
          I got my clothes back.

          Brian
          T-BACK

          tim garner

        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 29 3:29 AM
            > the guy w/ me was amased that the coon was strong enough to drag a
            > pack, even though it was near empty. i told him that was no problem
            > for a coon. now he understands why i sometimes refer to them as
            > mini-bears.

            Great raccoon stories guys! Thanks!

            Tim, you are the second person I have heard referring to raccoons as
            mini-bears. Risk refers to the bears as large raccons...<g>... I had
            never thought of them as "cousins"; but, that's a great analogy.

            I have never had problems with raccoons getting into my pack; but the
            %#$^% mice...! That's another story!

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 29 6:45 AM
              actualy JD, i`ve often refered to both racoons & mice as "minibears" when explaining to folks why it`s important to hang your food (or secure it in some way). we call it a "bear bag"' but in most often in nc, it`s more for the minibears than the full size ones :~}
              hey, rick talking about bears & racoons reminds me of a night in a shelter (standing indian) when a guy w/ me dreamed about a racoon climbing on the rafter above him.
              it fell w/ a THUD between us & when he tryed to push it away, it wouldn`t budge! it was then that he realized it was actualy a BEAR!!! he woke up calling "TIM...TIM..."

              "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@...> wrote:
              > the guy w/ me was amased that the coon was strong enough to drag a
              > pack, even though it was near empty. i told him that was no problem
              > for a coon. now he understands why i sometimes refer to them as
              > mini-bears.

              Great raccoon stories guys! Thanks!

              Tim, you are the second person I have heard referring to raccoons as
              mini-bears. Risk refers to the bears as large raccons...<g>... I had
              never thought of them as "cousins"; but, that's a great analogy.

              I have never had problems with raccoons getting into my pack; but the
              %#$^% mice...! That's another story!

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.

              tim garner

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 29 7:40 AM
                I have never had problems with raccoons getting into my pack; but the
                %#$^% mice...! That's another story!

                Happy Trails,

                J.D.

                In the bottom of the Grand Canyon at Phantom Ranch campground they have some
                tall pipe contraptions designed for hanging your pack (think of tall
                clothesline poles).

                They were too tall to use and get easy access to the top of my pack, so I
                threw a piece of cord over the pole, hung my pack at a convenient height and
                went exploring with my brother in law, leaving his exhausted brother
                (Bruce) napping on the picanic table.

                When we got back my pack was hung high again, to my puzzlement Bruce
                explained that he heard a rustling, woke up and a ring tailed cat was in my
                pack flipping my food out on the ground.

                Now I know why the poles were so high!!!
                Bruce chased them off, rehung my pack correctly and went back to sleep.

                Ralph

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 29 12:42 PM
                    > Great raccoon stories guys! Thanks!
                    >
                    > Tim, you are the second person I have heard referring to raccoons as
                    > mini-bears. Risk refers to the bears as large raccons...<g>... I had
                    > never thought of them as "cousins"; but, that's a great analogy.
                    >
                    > I have never had problems with raccoons getting into my pack; but the
                    > %#$^% mice...! That's another story!
                    >
                    > Happy Trails,
                    >
                    > J.D.

                    You could always go wild turkey on them and pour boiling water down
                    their mouse holes beating them with hiking poles on their way out of
                    the shelter... PETA would have a fit, but it would be some good eating.

                    David with no trailname
                  • tanpuma
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
                      > > for a coon. now he understands why i sometimes refer to them as
                      > > mini-bears.

                      I have never had probs with bears but raccoons--yes. since we aren't
                      in a tent, the raccoons are brave enough to skulk closer. One
                      unzipped my dog's pack ( was hung in a tree but not suspended bear
                      style) dragged it 30 feet away and ate a few pounds of kibble.
                      How did I not hear? How did pup not hear all this?

                      Yes, even when not in bear areas I now bear bag everything.

                      At least he didn't eat a hole through the fabric.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
                        tanpuma <tanpuma@...> wrote:
                        .. dragged it 30 feet away and ate a few pounds of kibble.
                        How did I not hear? How did pup not hear all this?

                        ***apparantly you where under the intoxicating influance of the hammock! as for the pup... mabey he was sleeping so soundly because you where.
                        .
                        At least he didn't eat a hole through the fabric.

                        *** that reminds me... i need to make another belt pouch for snacks!!! ...tim

                        tim garner