south mt state park, nc

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2006
      a friend & i just got back from a night at south mt. he used my 1st
      winter hammock & i used the 2nd winter hammock. each winter hammock w/
      insulated top cover attached (which makes it somewhat like a speer
      hammock w/ pea pod ...but probably not as well insulated) weigh about
      4 lbs ea w/ straps.
      it got down to 27 degrees f, w/ breezes around 3-5 mph.
      i got overheated, but i was wearing qite a few layers, laying on an
      expead DAM, & under a ray way quilt.
      but, before i got warm, i had to hold a bottle of hot water
      between my cold toes. MAN... that works great!
      i could hardly take time to eat lunch after we set-up. we had a
      couple other guys (from two near-by camp sites) come by to check out
      the hammocks & ask questions. i`m not complaining. i love my hammock
      & i think it`s great when others are interrested enough to ask lots of
      questions & take pictures.
      they where good folks & one took time to bring over a note pad &
      pen to write down the web sites i had been telling them about.
      of course i told about hammockcampres@yahoogroups.com & the speer
      hammock site w/ it`s links, but i also gave him imrisk & tothewoods. i
      hope i got that right. if not, i told him those links (& lots more)
      could be found on ed`s site.
      i told him about the camp-outs at hot spring (next one in april).
      i also told him ed is a real nice guy & glad to help someone learn
      about hammocks. hope i`m not going to get into trouble for telling
      stories.
      i carryed out an old abandoned army duffle bag full of trash (most
      of which was an abandoned, cheap sleeping bag), & had an opportunity
      to talk w/ two of the rangers about hammock camping. they didn`t seem
      to know a lot about it, but listened w/ intrrest as i explained how
      talk groups & sellers of hammocks are trying to educate people about
      the proper, low impact, use of hammocks. they said they have no
      problem w/ people using hammocks at south mountian state park.
      ...tim
    • Dawn Harkins
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2006
        --- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:
        > but, before i got warm, i had to hold a bottle
        > of hot water
        > between my cold toes. MAN... that works great!

        It does, doesn't it? Feels SO good, so comfy and
        relaxing, it's more than worth taking the few minutes
        to boil up some water. Lasts an amazingly long time,
        too.

        Dawn in
        Tahoe

        http://mail.yahoo.com