buying a hammock

  • jkneilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 26, 2006
      Hi all, I'm starting to price and evaluate hammocks for lightweight
      backpacking. Here's what I currently own (which I hope to utilize with
      my new purchase):

      1. 8X10 silnylon tarp
      2. Multiple sleeping pads including RidgeRests
      3. Plent of rope for guylines, etc.

      I've zeroed in on Hennessy and Speers. I'd most likely use the hammock
      during the spring and summer seasons.

      Any specific product recommendations that anyone can offer?

      Thanks!

    • Rat
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 26, 2006
        I would say, to go as light and cheap as possible, make your own.
        You can build it as small as you are comfortable with and with as
        light a material as possible. I built a 30 inch X 7.5 footer one
        time out of some .9 oz Nylon (not rip stop), it was super light and
        sleepable, but not as comfy as my big one. However, it was built for
        a srvival kit so it works great for that.

        If you don't want to build your own I would contact Ed and see if he
        will custom build you one, which I am pretty sure he will.

        Rat

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jkneilson" <jkneilson@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 27, 2006
          I owned a Hennessy but switched to a Speer the first time I saw and
          layed in one because it accommodated my type of backpacking better.
          I don't want a bugnet in my way when I don't need it and prefer the
          top entry to the bottom entry... I was tarping before I switched to
          hammocking and like the openness along with the visual freedom and
          easier access to my stuff, particularly in pleasant conditions when
          you can enjoy your surroundings. They are both very comfortable.

          I worked with Ed Speer in developing the Segmented Pad Extenders
          (SPE) and believe they work very well in addressing the issues of
          using pads with hammocks. Since you are considering using your pads
          with a hammock I would encourage you to take a look at them.

          Youngblood

          wrote:

          > Hi all, I'm starting to price and evaluate hammocks for lightweight
          > backpacking. Here's what I currently own (which I hope to utilize
          with
          > my new purchase):
          >
          > 1. 8X10 silnylon tarp
          > 2. Multiple sleeping pads including RidgeRests
          > 3. Plent of rope for guylines, etc.
          >
          > I've zeroed in on Hennessy and Speers. I'd most likely use the
          hammock
          > during the spring and summer seasons.
          >
          > Any specific product recommendations that anyone can offer?
          >
          > Thanks!

        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 27, 2006
            see the testhammock at imrisk.com