I spent 4 days in a Hennessy

  • canoetrip_2000
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2003
      Hi,
      I am relatively new to the group. I got my Hennessy Explorer A-Sym
      Explorer a few weeks ago. My preferred hanging out spot at home is
      the back yard, but there is no place there to hang it (I am going to
      build a stand), so I have been stringing it on the front porch. I had
      to travel upstate last week to visit my parents, who are not in good
      health. The house was full of visiting relatives and I didn't want to
      sleep on the floor. I strung the hammock up between a porch post and
      a cypress tree in the back yard and slept in it for 4 delicious
      nights. The first night, temps were in the low 50's and that was
      wonderful! I used a standard Target blue pad and draped a sleeping
      bag over me like a quilt. Unfortunately, temps warmed considerably
      and by the 5th night it was too hot. It even rained one morning and I
      slept even harder in the rain. I did have to get earplugs to drown
      out the noise from the nearby road. My niece and nephew are now
      pestering their parents for their own hammocks. Having it there also
      provided me with a kind of escape hatch to get away from the family
      for an hour or so at a time. Mom said it was an "inspired" purchase.
      I may never sleep in a tent again! Its a great place to read,
      although I have this reflex developing where I begin nodding off in
      it about 10 minutes after I climb in...what a problem, LOL! Firefly
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2003
        Message
        I love reading stories like yours Firefly--just reconfirms that this hammock stuff is here to stay. Do you mind if I quote some of your words in my publicity--using your name of course.

        Can't help but ask how you got your trail name?  I had a most unique oppurtunity last weekend to witness a firefly hatch in the mountains of north west South Carolina--amazing display of 1000's of tiny flies with blue lights swarming only a foot or two above the forest floor. These were not the usual 'lighting bugs', but a species I'd never seen before. Apparently happens every year at a few isolated locations, with maximun displays every 20 years or so--last weekend was certainly a maximun! Unfortunately heavy rains ovler the next couple of days killed the majority of the fireflies and now the numbers are down to only a few each night.  Have you ever seen anything like this....Ed

        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 2003
          Ed,
          Sure, you can use what I said, but I was talking about a Hennessy. I
          have not yet had the pleasure of trying one of your hammocks. I will
          email you privately later in the weekend about which name to use. I
          got my nickname (not a trail name) because I used to catch lightening
          bugs as a child, put them in a jar with holes in the lid, and release
          them after a few minutes. I miss that, living in the city now. I
          recommend hammocks as an escape hatch for people visiting others,
          especially relatives! Firefly