Hammock straps stretchhhhh problem on Pea Pod

  • ghman777
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 25, 2006
      Got my Pea Pod fastened to my hammock hanging straps. I get my Pod
      snugged just right under me by sliding the Pea Pod end strings up my
      hammock support straps with a special knot that stays tight after
      sliding it. But during the night my hammock hanging straps keep
      stretching under my weight which compresses the bottom insulation of
      the Pea Pod making my bottom end cold. Get out- readjust the Pod, hop
      in... 2 hrs later.. get out.. readjust.. argggg. Surprisingly, the Pod
      strings dont move equally with the stretch of the hammock straps. Is
      there a 'no stretch' strap or rope out there anywhere?
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 25, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ghman777" <ghman777@...> wrote:

        > Is
        > there a 'no stretch' strap or rope out there anywhere?

        Spectra cord with tree huggers, or the polypro webbing from Ed's site:
        www.speerhammocks.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 26, 2006
          I find that it is not so much the stretch of the straps as the stretch
          of the hammock that can lead to problems like this. The solution is to
          have some extra stretch space under you when you go to bed...

          Rick

          ghman777 wrote:
          > Got my Pea Pod fastened to my hammock hanging straps. I get my Pod
          > snugged just right under me by sliding the Pea Pod end strings up my
          > hammock support straps with a special knot that stays tight after
          > sliding it. But during the night my hammock hanging straps keep
          > stretching under my weight which compresses the bottom insulation of
          > the Pea Pod making my bottom end cold. Get out- readjust the Pod, hop
          > in... 2 hrs later.. get out.. readjust.. argggg. Surprisingly, the Pod
          > strings dont move equally with the stretch of the hammock straps. Is
          > there a 'no stretch' strap or rope out there anywhere?

        • Paul V.
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 26, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ghman777" <ghman777@...> wrote:

            > Got my Pea Pod fastened to my hammock hanging straps. I get my Pod
            > snugged just right under me by sliding the Pea Pod end strings up my
            > hammock support straps with a special knot that stays tight after
            > sliding it. But during the night my hammock hanging straps keep
            > stretching under my weight which compresses the bottom insulation of
            > the Pea Pod making my bottom end cold. Get out- readjust the Pod, hop
            > in... 2 hrs later.. get out.. readjust.. argggg. Surprisingly, the Pod
            > strings dont move equally with the stretch of the hammock straps. Is
            > there a 'no stretch' strap or rope out there anywhere?

            Can you use elastic cord to snug the underquilt up? It should stretch
            with the main hammock supports.
          • Rat
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 26, 2006
              I don't know what kind of "special knot" you are using, but if it is
              a Taught-line hitch you can just add another cord tied above the
              hitch and when it gets too tight, just pull the second cord to slide
              the hitch back towards the hammock. That way you don't need to get
              out every time.

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ghman777" <ghman777@>
              wrote:

              > > Got my Pea Pod fastened to my hammock hanging straps. I get my
              Pod
              > > snugged just right under me by sliding the Pea Pod end strings
              up my
              > > hammock support straps with a special knot that stays tight
              after
              > > sliding it. But during the night my hammock hanging straps keep
              > > stretching under my weight which compresses the bottom
              insulation of
              > > the Pea Pod making my bottom end cold. Get out- readjust the
              Pod, hop
              > > in... 2 hrs later.. get out.. readjust.. argggg. Surprisingly,
              the Pod
              > > strings dont move equally with the stretch of the hammock
              straps. Is
              > > there a 'no stretch' strap or rope out there anywhere?
            • Ray
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 31, 2006
                I just bought some Polypropylene webbing and sewed my own tree-huggers
                and had that same question.

                I found this info from Strapworks.com

                Looks like Polypropylene stretches the least, Polyester is in between
                and Nylon webbing stretches the most.

                http://www.strapworks.com/Flat_Nylon_Webbing_p/fnw1.htm

                Nylon webbing is not particularly good in applications around water.
                Nylon stretches when it gets wet, so a nylon strap will not stay tight
                in the rain or on a river trip.

                http://www.strapworks.com/Polyester_Webbing_p/pew1.htm

                Polyester combines many of the benefits of both polypro and nylon
                without some of the negatives. It has a 3500lb breaking strength, low
                water absorption, rot and mildew resistance, and has 5 times the
                abrasion resistance of polypro with a softer feel. (not as soft as
                nylon).

                http://www.strapworks.com/Heavyweight_Polypropylene_p/hwp1.htm

                Heavyweight polypro webbing is our most popular webbing, by far. It
                has low stretch, especially when wet, good strength ratio (900 lb.
                test), and is available in lots of great colors.

                Hope this helps.

                Ray

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2006
                  thanks for the web site ray. looks like good prices on the webbing. lots of interresting hardwear.

                  Ray <raydiaz8@...> wrote: I just bought some Polypropylene webbing and sewed my own tree-huggers
                  and had that same question.

                  I found this info from Strapworks.com

                  Looks like Polypropylene stretches the least, Polyester is in between
                  and Nylon webbing stretches the most.

                  http://www.strapworks.com/Flat_Nylon_Webbing_p/fnw1.htm

                  Nylon webbing is not particularly good in applications around water.
                  Nylon stretches when it gets wet, so a nylon strap will not stay tight
                  in the rain or on a river trip.

                  http://www.strapworks.com/Polyester_Webbing_p/pew1.htm

                  Polyester combines many of the benefits of both polypro and nylon
                  without some of the negatives. It has a 3500lb breaking strength, low
                  water absorption, rot and mildew resistance, and has 5 times the
                  abrasion resistance of polypro with a softer feel. (not as soft as
                  nylon).

                  http://www.strapworks.com/Heavyweight_Polypropylene_p/hwp1.htm

                  Heavyweight polypro webbing is our most popular webbing, by far. It
                  has low stretch, especially when wet, good strength ratio (900 lb.
                  test), and is available in lots of great colors.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Ray

                  > I find that it is not so much the stretch of the straps as the stretch
                  > of the hammock that can lead to problems like this. The solution is to
                  > have some extra stretch space under you when you go to bed...
                  >
                  > Rick
                  >
                  > ghman777 wrote:
                  > > Got my Pea Pod fastened to my hammock hanging straps. I get my Pod
                  > > snugged just right under me by sliding the Pea Pod end strings up my
                  > > hammock support straps with a special knot that stays tight after
                  > > sliding it. But during the night my hammock hanging straps keep
                  > > stretching under my weight which compresses the bottom insulation of
                  > > the Pea Pod making my bottom end cold. Get out- readjust the Pod, hop
                  > > in... 2 hrs later.. get out.. readjust.. argggg. Surprisingly, the
                  Pod
                  > > strings dont move equally with the stretch of the hammock straps. Is
                  > > there a 'no stretch' strap or rope out there anywhere?

                  tim garner

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
                    You're welcome Tim.

                    Their service is great too. Shipping was super fast and theywere very
                    helpful at answering my questions.