What's the Strangest place you've hung your Hammock?

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 24, 2006
      What's the Strangest of most creative place you've hung your Hammock?

      I'd love to get some ideas from you guys about out-of-the-ordinary
      ways you've hitched your hammock.

      The obvious thing that comes to mind is a Tree and your Car-Racks...

      Any ideas?
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 24, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <raydiaz8@...> wrote:

        > What's the Strangest of most creative place you've hung your Hammock?

        In the back of a C-17 a few times. Once flying from Seattle to
        Charleston, I slept through the in-flight refueling...oops.

        In the back of my Wrangler.
        http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearJeepHammock.html

        Other than that, just on non-tentable campsites - nothing cool yet.
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 24, 2006
          Ray wrote:
          > What's the Strangest of most creative place you've hung your Hammock?
          >
          > I'd love to get some ideas from you guys about out-of-the-ordinary
          > ways you've hitched your hammock.
          >
          > The obvious thing that comes to mind is a Tree and your Car-Racks...
          >
          > Any ideas?

          - between the supports of a goat pen on an exotic weapon range (details
          not available - don't ask)
          - from one side of a military transport aircraft to the other, crossing
          the ocean, bottom bumping into a large box of grenades
          - using the unsupported stick trick
          - next to another hammock tied between the same two trees and at the
          same level.
          - at the control station of an amateur radio field day, stretched
          between my jeep and the antenna
          -

          However, my stories pale in comparison with Ed's

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 24, 2006
              All over Iraq. In Camp Anaconda between two out of service Power
              Generators for a wind block, In Scania I slung it under an 18
              wheeler while we were stopped on our way to Taji (Cedar II), In
              various military style tents with hard structure framing. But the
              absolute worse spot was in a sand storm. It wasn't in a sand storm
              to begin with, but I fell asleep reading and a storm blew in. I woke
              up about halfway through it. When it was over and I recovered the
              hammock I dumped about a coffee can full of sand (fine powdery dust)
              out of it. I have some pictures in my album were it is slung from
              the bumper of my truck also (Colorado Bend State Park).

              > Ray <raydiaz8@...> wrote: What's the Strangest of most creative
              place you've hung your Hammock?

              > I'd love to get some ideas from you guys about out-of-the-ordinary
              > ways you've hitched your hammock.
              >
              > The obvious thing that comes to mind is a Tree and your Car-
              Racks...

              > Any ideas?

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > tim garner

            • Dawn Harkins
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 24, 2006
                Don't use your truck door. This is probably obvious to
                most of you--my excuse is that we were drinking a bit
                of port that night, and there was no where else to
                hang from, just one marginal tree and the top of the
                door frame with the window rolled down. Sprung the
                hinges a bit.

                In other news, I just got my first Hennessy, the BP UL
                Asym w/undercover. I am STOKED! Woohooo! What a
                beautiful thing it is.

                Dawn in Tahoe

                --- Rat <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

                > All over Iraq. In Camp Anaconda between two out of
                > service Power
                > Generators for a wind block, In Scania I slung it
                > under an 18
                > wheeler while we were stopped on our way to Taji
                > (Cedar II), In
                > various military style tents with hard structure
                > framing. But the
                > absolute worse spot was in a sand storm. It wasn't
                > in a sand storm
                > to begin with, but I fell asleep reading and a storm
                > blew in. I woke
                > up about halfway through it. When it was over and I
                > recovered the
                > hammock I dumped about a coffee can full of sand
                > (fine powdery dust)
                > out of it. I have some pictures in my album were it
                > is slung from
                > the bumper of my truck also (Colorado Bend State
                > Park).
                >
                > > Ray <raydiaz8@...> wrote: What's the Strangest of
                > most creative
                > place you've hung your Hammock?
                > >
                > > I'd love to get some ideas from you guys about
                > out-of-the-ordinary
                > > ways you've hitched your hammock.
                > >
                > > The obvious thing that comes to mind is a Tree and
                > your Car-
                > Racks...
                > >
                > > Any ideas?

                > Yahoo! Terms of
                > Service.
                > >

                > > ---------------------------------
                > >

                > > tim garner

                > removed]

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • David Wills
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 25, 2006
                  I was only Cumberland Island last week and got to hang on a buoy that
                  washed ashore. I had to get the pic with my phone, but its me in
                  there. Wonderful day

                • jack_tier
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 26, 2006
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <raydiaz8@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > What's the Strangest of most creative place you've hung your
                    Hammock?

                    > In the back of a C-17 a few times. Once flying from Seattle to
                    > Charleston, I slept through the in-flight refueling...oops.
                    >
                    > In the back of my Wrangler.
                    > http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearJeepHammock.html
                    >
                    > Other than that, just on non-tentable campsites - nothing cool yet.

                    Two unusual hangs:

                    Between a chain link fence pole and small tree over a rain ditch with
                    12 inches of water runing thru it on Big Cyperess Semilone Resevation
                    in Florida.

                    Also used the two fence posts adjacent to a reinforced corner on a
                    barbed wire fence....perfect fit... Oh , it was the outside corner so
                    the cows could not nudge me....Hey it worked.

                    Pan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 26, 2006
                      Now I like that!

                      Rick

                      David Wills wrote:
                      > I was only Cumberland Island last week and got to hang on a buoy that
                      > washed ashore. I had to get the pic with my phone, but its me in
                      > there. Wonderful day

                    • rob dawson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 26, 2006
                        well, in the fall my school organized a weekend bicycling ride form
                        Budapest to Slovaki and back for studetns and I was there as a Staff
                        Chaperone.... we spent the night at a highschool, on their gym floor...
                        well, everybody broke out their pads.. I found to chin up bars that were
                        hung on the walls and were mobile... i place dthem close enough and was in
                        the hammock and asleep in no time. Come morning I ws the only one who had
                        slept well.

                        robi

                        On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 15:12:37 +0200, jack_tier <jacktier@...> wrote:

                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <raydiaz8@> wrote:
                        >> >
                        >> > What's the Strangest of most creative place you've hung your
                        > Hammock?
                        >>
                        >> In the back of a C-17 a few times. Once flying from Seattle to
                        >> Charleston, I slept through the in-flight refueling...oops.
                        >>
                        >> In the back of my Wrangler.
                        >> http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearJeepHammock.html
                        >>
                        >> Other than that, just on non-tentable campsites - nothing cool yet.
                        >>

                        > Two unusual hangs:
                        >
                        > Between a chain link fence pole and small tree over a rain ditch with
                        > 12 inches of water runing thru it on Big Cyperess Semilone Resevation
                        > in Florida.
                        >
                        > Also used the two fence posts adjacent to a reinforced corner on a
                        > barbed wire fence....perfect fit... Oh , it was the outside corner so
                        > the cows could not nudge me....Hey it worked.
                        >
                        > Pan

                      • chcoa
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 26, 2006
                          Well this isn't very strange but I slept in an old livestock corral
                          last spring while backpacking N. of Phoenix AZ. The tenters I was
                          with chose the area because it was very flat and free of rocks and
                          cactus. It was also free of trees, which is pretty common in the
                          desert anyway, so I hung between to tall posts that made up one of the
                          old gates in the corral. I wasn't sure if they would hold me, because
                          the corral was pretty old but those cowboys sure must have taken pride
                          in their corral building. I was in an HH and I hung fine all night no
                          problem. I didn't get a pic unfortunately, my batteries took a poo
                          about an hour before I hit camp. Bummer!!

                          Jamie in AZ

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <raydiaz8@...> wrote:

                          > What's the Strangest of most creative place you've hung your Hammock?
                          >
                          > I'd love to get some ideas from you guys about out-of-the-ordinary
                          > ways you've hitched your hammock.
                          >
                          > The obvious thing that comes to mind is a Tree and your Car-Racks...
                          >
                          > Any ideas?

                        • Ray
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 27, 2006
                            Jeff,

                            I would never have thought of the Jeep Hammock. That's why I wanted to
                            ask about this, because I knew we'd all get some new and interesting
                            ideas here.

                            Thanks!

                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 27, 2006
                              Rick,

                              Excuse my ignorance, but what's the "unsupported stick trick?"

                              Thanks,
                              Ray

                              > Ray wrote:
                              > > What's the Strangest of most creative place you've hung your Hammock?
                              > >
                              > > I'd love to get some ideas from you guys about out-of-the-ordinary
                              > > ways you've hitched your hammock.
                              > >
                              > > The obvious thing that comes to mind is a Tree and your Car-Racks...
                              > >
                              > > Any ideas?
                              > >

                              > - between the supports of a goat pen on an exotic weapon range (details
                              > not available - don't ask)
                              > - from one side of a military transport aircraft to the other, crossing
                              > the ocean, bottom bumping into a large box of grenades
                              > - using the unsupported stick trick
                              > - next to another hammock tied between the same two trees and at the
                              > same level.
                              > - at the control station of an amateur radio field day, stretched
                              > between my jeep and the antenna
                              > -
                              >
                              > However, my stories pale in comparison with Ed's
                              >
                              > Rick

                            • Ray
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 27, 2006
                                Cool.

                                Thanks guys.

                                Keep 'em comming.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 27, 2006
                                  http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

                                  Simple little trick of physics and geometry...

                                  Rick

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 27, 2006
                                    Rick <ra1@...> wrote: http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

                                    Simple little trick of physics and geometry...

                                    Rick

                                    . rick, your stick trick reminds me of something i did once. to put the hammock where i wanted it, one of the two trees that where at the right distance was too small & would bend w/ the hammock (& my body weight) pulling on it.
                                    so i tyed one end of the hammock to the larger tree as normal, then wraped the webbing around the small tree a few times, then ran the webbing on to another large tree.
                                    that last large tree would have been to far & too long of a strech for the webbing. but the small tree provided an upright just where i needed it. ...tim

                                    tim garner

                                  • Ray
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 27, 2006
                                      Man, that looks like a magic trick or something -- like he's holding
                                      the pole with invisible string! haha

                                      Cool.

                                      > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm
                                      >
                                      > Simple little trick of physics and geometry...
                                      >
                                      > Rick
                                      >
                                      > Ray wrote:
                                      > > Rick,
                                      > >
                                      > > Excuse my ignorance, but what's the "unsupported stick trick?"
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks,
                                      > > Ray
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@> wrote:

                                      > >>- between the supports of a goat pen on an exotic weapon range
                                      (details
                                      > >>not available - don't ask)
                                      > >>- from one side of a military transport aircraft to the other,
                                      crossing
                                      > >>the ocean, bottom bumping into a large box of grenades
                                      > >>- using the unsupported stick trick
                                      > >>- next to another hammock tied between the same two trees and at the
                                      > >>same level.
                                      > >>- at the control station of an amateur radio field day, stretched
                                      > >>between my jeep and the antenna
                                      > >>-
                                      > >>
                                      > >>However, my stories pale in comparison with Ed's
                                      > >>
                                      > >>Rick

                                    • Dylan Anderson
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 28, 2006
                                        I don't know that this is all that strange of a
                                        location, but it is certainly my favorite place to
                                        hang...

                                        http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_8969804/43ab/__sr_/474a.jpg?grIlaKEBTLKqOSht

                                        That drop off is much more than it looks, and there
                                        water about 15 feet below me. I have also hung a
                                        friend's hennessy in that spot, and put mine further
                                        down hung off of cams. I have also used my climbing
                                        gear to hang in other locations, as well as out here
                                        in the desert, I have wrapped my lines over the tops
                                        of particularly large boulders, then tied off on the
                                        back side to sticks, bush bases or other large rocks
                                        jammed in below the boulders (sorry, don't have any
                                        pics). A combination of the friction and the
                                        redirecting of the force, first up, then across, then
                                        back down the far side of the boulder means that the
                                        stick, rock, or bush does not have to be particularly
                                        large. The only thing I add is another rope tied to
                                        the hammock line, then tied off to either side so as
                                        to keep the hammock line from rolling off the boulder
                                        to either side. The best way I could describe it is to
                                        imagin something akin to snow chains on a tire with
                                        the hammock line being the sole strap running parallel
                                        with the treadand only one cross belt.

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      • Ray
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 28, 2006
                                          Very cool, Dylan.

                                          I always wondered why people used those clunky Porta-Ledges instead of
                                          hammocks. You sleep tied in with a harness, right?

                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@...> wrote:

                                          > I don't know that this is all that strange of a
                                          > location, but it is certainly my favorite place to
                                          > hang...

                                          http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_8969804/43ab/__sr_/474a.jpg?grIlaKEBTLKqOSht

                                          > That drop off is much more than it looks, and there
                                          > water about 15 feet below me. I have also hung a
                                          > friend's hennessy in that spot, and put mine further
                                          > down hung off of cams. I have also used my climbing
                                          > gear to hang in other locations, as well as out here
                                          > in the desert, I have wrapped my lines over the tops
                                          > of particularly large boulders, then tied off on the
                                          > back side to sticks, bush bases or other large rocks
                                          > jammed in below the boulders (sorry, don't have any
                                          > pics). A combination of the friction and the
                                          > redirecting of the force, first up, then across, then
                                          > back down the far side of the boulder means that the
                                          > stick, rock, or bush does not have to be particularly
                                          > large. The only thing I add is another rope tied to
                                          > the hammock line, then tied off to either side so as
                                          > to keep the hammock line from rolling off the boulder
                                          > to either side. The best way I could describe it is to
                                          > imagin something akin to snow chains on a tire with
                                          > the hammock line being the sole strap running parallel
                                          > with the treadand only one cross belt.
                                          >
                                          > Though I may die tomorrow, at least I can do it with the knowledge
                                          that once I did know true love -unknown

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 28, 2006
                                            I tried this method also and it really wasn't that difficult.

                                            jamie d