ENO Hammock Reviews?

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 24, 2006
      http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/hammock-shelter-system.html

      Does anyone have any info on this setup?

      I like the fact that the bug-net is completely separate from the
      hammock. -- If you remove it you're left with a regular old hammock...

      Thanks.
    • Richard Perlman
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 24, 2006
        Ray wrote:
        > http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/hammock-shelter-system.html
        > Does anyone have any info on this setup?

        It looks like a campground/backyard rig, not something for backpacking:
        4 Lbs - 4 oz. VERY heavy. Straps/'beaners are kind of klunky for tree use.
        Tarp need 6 stakes, instead of 2 or 4. I think I'll stop now........

        Rich
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 24, 2006
          i love my EN double. they list it at 22 ozs on there web site, but i`ve made a few modifications to mine.
          first i did away w/ the binners that came w/ it. one began to bend.
          i also added velcro down each side. this can be used to attach bug net, or under quilt. i also added snake skins.
          i don`t recall the weight as it is now, but i suspect it`s not much differant than before. but to weigh it, i`d have to go into my bed room, take the quilt, pillow, & air mat out. i`ve been sleeping in a hammock (mostly the ENO) for about a year now.
          one thing i like about the ENO hammock is the fabric. someone recently was asking here if anyone knew of a source for that type fabric. if anyone finds it, i`d like to know. ...tim

          Ray <raydiaz8@...> wrote:
          http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/hammock-shelter-system.html

          Does anyone have any info on this setup?

          I like the fact that the bug-net is completely separate from the
          hammock. -- If you remove it you're left with a regular old hammock...

          Thanks.

          tim garner

        • wootres4
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 25, 2006
            I have no basis for comparison, but I love my ENO double nest (DN).
            Being a long time tent camper, I converted to hammocks because of
            this group. Now I'm a little disabled and can't sleep on the ground
            anymore, the marriage of hammocks and my love of the outdoors was a
            match made in heaven.

            My DN is very easy to put up and the tree huggers (they call them
            slap straps) are very strong, secure, and a breeze to tie up. The
            bug net is just as easy to erect. I have to say the line provided
            by ENO was very quickly replaced because it was too short. I also
            had trouble manipulating the small diameter of the ridge line with
            stiff fingers at night, and replaced it with parachute cord. The
            extra couple of tie downs on the fly is no big deal and I use their
            tent pegs because they are strong and very very light.

            If I had a complaint it would be the trouble I have getting the bug
            net back into the stuff sack. Other than that I enjoy the
            versatility of the 3 component set up which allows me to adapt to
            the time of year (bugs or no bugs), place I'm at, and weather
            conditions of the moment.

            As I said, I have no basis for comparison but my trips are there-
            stay-back and no longer than 2-3 days so I don't find weight all
            that much of an issue.

            For the DN owners; I use a ridge line of 102 inches to hang things
            like my light and glasses from. This also sets my perfect hang
            every time.

            I'd love to try other hammocks but no one else around here uses them
            and I don't feel compelled to lay out the cash to just try various
            varieties. Till the opportunity comes my way I'll live contently
            with my double nest.

            CHRIS

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <raydiaz8@...> wrote:

            > http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/hammock-shelter-system.html
            >
            > Does anyone have any info on this setup?
            >
            > I like the fact that the bug-net is completely separate from the
            > hammock. -- If you remove it you're left with a regular old
            hammock...

            > Thanks.

          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 26, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "wootres4" <chriswootres@...>
              wrote:
              > I'd love to try other hammocks but no one else around here uses them
              > and I don't feel compelled to lay out the cash to just try various
              > varieties. Till the opportunity comes my way I'll live contently
              > with my double nest.

              Good Morning, Chris!

              I am not familiar with the ENO; but have three others now: HH, Speer,
              and Bliss.

              I am in Northern VA, what part of the world are you in....?

              If not too far, maybe we could hook up...?

              Caution! I am known to blabber on about gear until the wee
              hours...<g>....!

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • Ray
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 27, 2006
                Hey Tim,

                I just bought an ENO Single. I don't use it for camping though. I
                bought it to take to the parks, (and the water park gazebos) when I go
                out with the wife and kids.

                I like the construction of the hammock, but I have no experience with
                hammock camping yet so I wanted to know what experienced people
                thought about their camping accessories.

                About the carabiners: I took them off too. Also, it comes with a water
                knot on the cord at the end of the hammock. I used a Fisherman's Bend
                instead. Then I use an Albright knot to attach a 6mm Prusic Cord to
                that which I leave connected and fits right in the hammock bag.

                I'm thinking of just replacing the whole thing with a Double
                Fisherman's in a loop at the end of the rope since I never take it off
                anyway.

                Thanks for the info Tim.

                > i love my EN double. they list it at 22 ozs on there web site, but
                i`ve made a few modifications to mine.
                > first i did away w/ the binners that came w/ it. one began
                to bend.
                > i also added velcro down each side. this can be used to attach
                bug net, or under quilt. i also added snake skins.
                > i don`t recall the weight as it is now, but i suspect it`s not
                much differant than before. but to weigh it, i`d have to go into my
                bed room, take the quilt, pillow, & air mat out. i`ve been sleeping
                in a hammock (mostly the ENO) for about a year now.
                > one thing i like about the ENO hammock is the fabric. someone
                recently was asking here if anyone knew of a source for that type
                fabric. if anyone finds it, i`d like to know. ...tim

                > Ray <raydiaz8@...> wrote:
                > http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/hammock-shelter-system.html
                >
                > Does anyone have any info on this setup?
                >
                > I like the fact that the bug-net is completely separate from the
                > hammock. -- If you remove it you're left with a regular old hammock...
                >
                > Thanks.

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                > tim garner

              • Ray
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 27, 2006
                  >I enjoy the versatility of the 3 component
                  >set up which allows me to adapt to the time
                  >of year (bugs or no bugs), place I'm at, and
                  >weather conditions of the moment.

                  Chris, That's exactly why I was at this as a possible camping hammock,
                  because I can use it by itself for just hanging around, and add the
                  rest of the gear for camping.

                  The Hennessey Hammocks' bug-net doesn't come off does it?

                  wrote:

                  > I have no basis for comparison, but I love my ENO double nest (DN).
                  > Being a long time tent camper, I converted to hammocks because of
                  > this group. Now I'm a little disabled and can't sleep on the ground
                  > anymore, the marriage of hammocks and my love of the outdoors was a
                  > match made in heaven.
                  >
                  > My DN is very easy to put up and the tree huggers (they call them
                  > slap straps) are very strong, secure, and a breeze to tie up. The
                  > bug net is just as easy to erect. I have to say the line provided
                  > by ENO was very quickly replaced because it was too short. I also
                  > had trouble manipulating the small diameter of the ridge line with
                  > stiff fingers at night, and replaced it with parachute cord. The
                  > extra couple of tie downs on the fly is no big deal and I use their
                  > tent pegs because they are strong and very very light.
                  >
                  > If I had a complaint it would be the trouble I have getting the bug
                  > net back into the stuff sack. Other than that I enjoy the
                  > versatility of the 3 component set up which allows me to adapt to
                  > the time of year (bugs or no bugs), place I'm at, and weather
                  > conditions of the moment.
                  >
                  > As I said, I have no basis for comparison but my trips are there-
                  > stay-back and no longer than 2-3 days so I don't find weight all
                  > that much of an issue.
                  >
                  > For the DN owners; I use a ridge line of 102 inches to hang things
                  > like my light and glasses from. This also sets my perfect hang
                  > every time.
                  >
                  > I'd love to try other hammocks but no one else around here uses them
                  > and I don't feel compelled to lay out the cash to just try various
                  > varieties. Till the opportunity comes my way I'll live contently
                  > with my double nest.
                  >
                  > CHRIS
                  >

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <raydiaz8@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/hammock-shelter-system.html
                  > >
                  > > Does anyone have any info on this setup?
                  > >
                  > > I like the fact that the bug-net is completely separate from the
                  > > hammock. -- If you remove it you're left with a regular old
                  > hammock...
                  > >
                  > > Thanks.

                • wootres4
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 27, 2006
                    >The Hennessey Hammocks' bug-net doesn't come off does it?

                    From what I have read; no the bug net is an integral part of the
                    Hennessey hammock. Many of the group swears by them for good reason.

                    I was sold on the ENO double by one of the owners. It was the most
                    comfortable thing I have ever laid in. I practiced erecting it in
                    the back yard and my 74 yr old father in-law came by. I told him to
                    try it and the bugger promptly fell asleep in it. The whole thing
                    packs away in the outer pockets of my day pack so it can go anywhere
                    with me.

                    I think bottom line for choosing a hammock should start with what
                    you want from it and how much fuss you are willing to accept in put
                    up and take down. I fully expect all are as comfortable as another
                    so as I said., set your criteria and find the one that best fits.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 27, 2006
                      That's great advice.

                      Thanks Chris!

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 27, 2006
                        have you spent much time in the ENO single yet? when i first got mine, i first bought the double & it was great, but i thought...ummm, i could save weight & space w/ the single. besides, the double seemed SO big.
                        so i took the double back to the local outfitter & got the single. i fell out twice. it was so unstable that i didn`t trust it to sleep in. so back to the store i go & i got the double back.
                        now it`s very possible that it was the single was not tyed-up right when it was being made. after trying my hand at making a hammock & reading advice from the folks here, i`ve learned that it makes a great differance in how the fabric is gathered up & tyed at the ends.
                        so i`m wondering how other ENO single hammocks lay. thanks ...tim

                        Ray <raydiaz8@...> wrote:
                        Hey Tim,

                        I just bought an ENO Single. I don't use it for camping though. I
                        bought it to take to the parks, (and the water park gazebos) when I go
                        out with the wife and kids.

                        I like the construction of the hammock, but I have no experience with
                        hammock camping yet so I wanted to know what experienced people
                        thought about their camping accessories.

                        .
                        ..

                        .>

                        .

                        tim garner

                      • Dawn Harkins
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 3, 2006
                          This is a question for all you experienced
                          gear-modifiers out there: Have any of you altered a
                          Hennessey (mine's the UL Backpacker Asym) so that the
                          netting is removable?

                          Dawn in Tahoe

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • jwj32542
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 3, 2006
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dawn Harkins <dawnhark@...>
                            wrote:

                            > This is a question for all you experienced
                            > gear-modifiers out there: Have any of you altered a
                            > Hennessey (mine's the UL Backpacker Asym) so that the
                            > netting is removable?

                            There used to be pics in the photos section here (by Brian from Tampa)
                            of a zippered net on the HH. I don't remember if it was completely
                            removable or if it just zipped up and out of the way.

                            One pic of it is here:
                            http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingBugfree.html

                            Jeff
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 4, 2006
                              dawn... i removed the netting from my friend`s HH w/ the intention of sewing velcro around the edges so it could be used if needed. but i never have got around to adding the velcro.
                              most of my time is spent in the mountians of nc, & fortunately i rarely have enough broblems w/ flying insects to want to use a net. but i`m sure the time will come. so when i do add velcro to the HH, i`ll let you know how it goes.
                              the HH seemed to work great w/o the net, though i haven`t spent much time in it. i need to get it from my friend & use it to see what`s what.
                              the idea w/ removing the net was that my friend (jerome) & i both liked the way the HH layed but didn`t care to be enclosed by netting unless it was actualy needed.
                              i`ll borrow it again & play around more, then get back w/ you.
                              and the hot water bottles... yeah!!! i don`t know why i wated so long to try that on my cold toes! ...tim

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 5, 2006
                                Looking forward to it, Tim, thanks. I have a big
                                head-net thingie--really a big mesh bag, covers head
                                and torso to my waist--from Brawney...maybe if I took
                                the netting off the HH I could just get by with
                                that...

                                I'm feeling a little foolish because I had not
                                realized that the HH netting wasn't removeable. Oh
                                well, I'll go forward from here.

                                Coy, was it you who flipped the whole deal over? If
                                that works, with ccf pad, I can leave the undercover
                                at home...

                                Dawn, really trying not to think too hard, lol

                                From: tim garner <slowhike@...>

                              • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 6, 2006
                                  > Dawn Harkins <dawnhark@...> wrote:
                                  > This is a question for all you experienced
                                  > gear-modifiers out there: Have any of you altered a
                                  > Hennessey (mine's the UL Backpacker Asym) so that the
                                  > netting is removable?

                                  Dawn,

                                  I removed the netting from my HH because I have a back injury and
                                  entering through the slit was painful. I now use it as a "top loader"
                                  for canoe trips (I use a lighter homemade hammock for backpacking). I
                                  now just attach netting to the ridgeline and let it drape over the
                                  sides. Another option would be a velcro closure. I have also sewn a
                                  small sleeve on the inside of the hammock at the tieout points. This
                                  allows me to use easton poles to hold the hammock open. Now I can
                                  rock myself to sleep.

                                  Brian
                                  T-BACK

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
                                      > brian... i`d like to hear more about how you attached the sleves &
                                      > how they hold the poles.

                                      Tim,

                                      I will try to get some pics uploaded in the next few days. It is very
                                      simple to do. I'll bring the hammock to SEHHA so you can see it.

                                      Brian
                                      T-BACK