RE: [Hammock Camping] forgotten intro?

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 24, 2006
      Welcome back Liam. Sounds like you've done some interesting hiking.
      Several of us online here have some long distance hikes with hammocks and
      can relate. You mentioned a possible pack goat-have you any experiences to
      share? I know there is an active goat packing community out there and, like
      a lot of others, they have recently taken up hammocks. Just googling on
      'goatpacking' brings up lots of sites. One of the best is 'Goat Tracks
      Magazine" at: http://www.goattracksmagazine.com/index.html

      Goat packing sounds like something I'd like to try sometime...Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 24, 2006
        > Welcome back Liam. Sounds like you've done some interesting hiking.
        > can relate. You mentioned a possible pack goat-have you any
        > experiences to share? I know there is an active goat packing
        > community out there

        Also a Yahoo Group "packgoats" that I followed for a short time.

        I think the above link will get you there.

        No experience; but, I understand they can carry 40-50 pounds, forage
        for their own food along the way, and are as easily trained and
        faithful as my SkyDog. Probably better....<g>...

        No one answered as to whether Attack Iguanas carry their own hammock...?

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • Rat
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 24, 2006
          I love my goats, Tweedldee and Tweedldum, full blood Alpines. Even
          tho they are mine, they live in Colorado full time with a good
          friend of mine who operates a bowhunting hike in guide service. One
          of the best LNT operations I have ever had the opportunity to hunt
          with.

          Goats are wicked cool for packing. It's actually like having two 200
          pound kids that carry most of your gear. Although my base weight for
          winter isn't very much, when you add hunting necessities it gets
          pretty heavy, especially for 10 days at a time. So on the hike in
          they don't carry very much weight, I carry just the main things
          (first aid and survival kit plus hammock food and water) just in cse
          I get separated from the boys. They usually carry only 25-30 pounds
          on the way in. When we need to pack out an Elk is when they really
          shine, each of them can carry 60 pounds and I can go about 70 and
          chris goes about 60 so we can get it out in one trip instead of two
          or three. Plus one more trip for the gear (easy trip).

          We usually set up a base camp and go on "Coyote Hunts" (Day Trips)
          from there and the boys just tag along wearing Blaze Orange in the
          gun season. Even tho I set up a tarp just for them they usually end
          up under my tarp or hammock anyway. They are great campfire
          companions, leave about the same footprint (literal and ecological)
          as deer, are fun to watch, especially in the big rocks and boulder
          fields, are great sentries, don't stink or spit like Llamas, you
          don't need to carry food (like horses) as they are browsers like
          deer. Mine have a wierd thing about water, they don't like to get
          their feet wet and will put on quite a show trying to cross shallow
          streams.

          If you ever get a chance, try them out. If for nothing else just for
          the experience. They are a trip in the wilderness.

          Thanks for letting me talk about my goats, I haven't seen them in
          three years and I miss them sometimes. But I know they are happier
          in the mountains.

          And welcome Liam!

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@...> wrote:

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@> wrote:
          > > Welcome back Liam. Sounds like you've done some interesting
          hiking.
          > > can relate. You mentioned a possible pack goat-have you any
          > > experiences to share? I know there is an active goat packing
          > > community out there
          >
          > Also a Yahoo Group "packgoats" that I followed for a short time.
          >
          > I think the above link will get you there.
          >
          > No experience; but, I understand they can carry 40-50 pounds,
          forage
          > for their own food along the way, and are as easily trained and
          > faithful as my SkyDog. Probably better....<g>...
          >
          > No one answered as to whether Attack Iguanas carry their own
          hammock...?

          > Happy Trails,
          >
          > J.D.

        • dawnhark
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 25, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

            > I love my goats, Tweedldee and Tweedldum,

            Well, this is fascinating! I don't hunt, but I have been attracted to
            the idea of goat packing for quite some time now. Hey, I love animals--
            if they carry my stuff it's an extra bonus.

            I would have to board them, I have no land and it snows here in the
            winter--is it expensive? And do they need much in the way of vet care?

            Can you tell me about any possible restrictions on using goats? Are
            there places they aren't allowed?

            And is there any way to, uh, like get to know some actual goats?

            Dawn in Tahoe
          • tanpuma
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 25, 2006

              > No experience; but, I understand they can carry 40-50 pounds, forage
              > for their own food along the way, and are as easily trained and
              > faithful as my SkyDog. Probably better....

              Is SkyDog a goat?

              Well I haven't goat packed but I have been thinking they would be
              ideal for me since I get around pretty well still but I can't carry
              much for long distances(12 miles +). Goats are cheaper than a nice
              down bag up here. If I can just convince my landlord that they are
              only wildlife;)
              THe best scenario is someone loans me a goat for "training"
              purposes for my longer hike.
              I understand they make good lawnmowers and milk too.

            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 26, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tanpuma" <tanpuma@...> wrote:
                > Is SkyDog a goat?

                No, sorry... I forget that not everyone knows my "Wonder Dog" -
                Mostly Border Collie. People always remember *HER*; but, can't seem
                to recall me...<g>...

                > THe best scenario is someone loans me a goat for "training"
                > purposes for my longer hike.

                Dawn was also asking about how to "rent" and try out hiking with a
                packgoat. There is another Yahoo Group - Look up "packgoat" here in
                Yahoo. There are some folks there who sell escourted trips Out West
                with different "levels" - distances, # of packgoats/people,
                easy/difficut, etc. I "think" there are also some packgoat folks Out
                East too. I did a bit of "lurking" on that Group and they are all
                very concerned about the well-being on their "pets" and seem to be
                very LNT conscious too.

                Doing a long / several days hike using a packgoat is definitely on my
                "To Do" list....! Talk about slack packing...<g>....!

                Perhaps.... With a bit of planning, some of us here could hook up with
                some of the packgoat folks for the education and experience....?

                Happy Trails,

                J.D.
              • Rat
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 26, 2006
                  Keeping them isn't really a huge undertaking. They really only need
                  about 10 X 10 (per goat) and a covered paddock to keep out of the
                  elements and stay warm. 10 X 10 is a bit small but if you have
                  packgoats you will be constantly taking them on trips to keep them
                  in shape and in trainning, so they will get plenty of exercise.

                  It is better to have two, they keep each other company and hike
                  better this way also.

                  Boarding shouldn't be expensive, especially compared to Llammas or
                  horses. And proly less than for a dog :)

                  Vet care can vary, of course, by how well cared for they are and
                  what they eat. They are naturally curious and will get into
                  anything, so accidents will happen. The best remedy is to have a
                  clean place, no wire or old junk cars and stuff around. Things to
                  look for when choosing a boarding pasture would be if it is a nice
                  place or all junked up. Keeping their hooves nice and clean and
                  trimmed is about the extent of regular care for short haired goats.
                  Long haired will need to br sheared periodically and even short
                  haired can be brushed or sheared after they begin to shed their
                  winter coat.

                  There are several State and Federal parks were goats are not allowed
                  due to the communicability of a few diseases with the wild sheep
                  population. There is no list, you just need to call ahead and plan
                  accordingly. Some will allow them if they are tethered.

                  Renting goats is pretty big business out west. Planning a trip with
                  an outfitter would be the best way to get familiar with the way to
                  do it and wether or not you will like it. The Packgoat list group
                  are a good bunch of people and will welcome just about anyone who
                  wants to try goat packing. They have regular campouts like we have
                  here and that would be a good place to make connections. And you
                  don't need a goat to attend :).

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I love my goats, Tweedldee and Tweedldum,
                  >
                  > Well, this is fascinating! I don't hunt, but I have been attracted
                  > the idea of goat packing for quite some time now. Hey, I love
                  animals--
                  > if they carry my stuff it's an extra bonus.
                  >
                  > I would have to board them, I have no land and it snows here in
                  the
                  > winter--is it expensive? And do they need much in the way of vet
                  care?

                  > Can you tell me about any possible restrictions on using goats?
                  Are
                  > there places they aren't allowed?
                  >
                  > And is there any way to, uh, like get to know some actual goats?
                  >
                  > Dawn in Tahoe

                • tanpuma
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 28, 2006

                    > Dawn was also asking about how to "rent" and try out hiking with a
                    > packgoat. There is another Yahoo Group - Look up "packgoat" here in
                    > Yahoo. There are some folks there who sell escourted trips Out West

                    I have seen some advertised, but I am strictly low budget guy,
                    Unfortunately hiking LD with assistance is the only way I can do big
                    miles. A goat/llama/mule would be maybe the only way for me to
                    through hike. Doing the usual 13-14 miles without a pack would be
                    challenge enough for me.

                    There was a woman at my church who has just bought 2 goats, but I
                    think they are still young. I forgot who she was, but she was wanting
                    to train them to be hiking assist animals.
                  • tanpuma
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 28, 2006

                      > Renting goats is pretty big business out west. Planning a trip with
                      > an outfitter would be the best way to get familiar with the way to
                      > do it and wether or not you will like it. The Packgoat list group
                      > are a good bunch of people and will welcome just about anyone who
                      > wants to try goat packing. They have regular campouts like we have
                      > here and that would be a good place to make connections. And you
                      > don't need a goat to attend :).

                      It seems like the thing to do is visit the packgoat group, and attend
                      a campout where it may be possible to packgoat with the owner present.

                      I actually hadn't even thought of goats as pack animals, only heard of
                      llammas and mules. that is until I read the hammock newsletter.

                      Liam
                    • Dawn Harkins
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
                        Wow, Rat, excellent information, thank you so much!!
                        I'll be checking all this out.

                        Dawn in Tahoe

                        http://mail.yahoo.com