Hammocks for bikers

  • tory1942
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2006
      Anyone experienced using hammocks when motorcycle (motor scooter)
      camping. Not so much concerned about ultralightweight, as the machine
      carries the load. I have a Suzuki Burbman AN650 (supposedly,
      a 'scooter), and am interested in what I might carry if
      unexpectedly 'caught out'.

      K. Young
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2006
        Hi K Young

        IIRC several on this list currently ride and some of us usta. But the
        reqirments for hammocking on a motorcycle or backpacking are not going
        to be much different. You most likely won't have a stand handy so
        finding a suitable place to legaly (or stealtaly) hang will probably
        be the number one thing to consider as sundown approaches. Trees are
        nice but with ingunituy you can hang in a lot of places. As for gear,
        you will need adaquate insulation just as you would while hiking.
        Pads, quilts, underquilts etc will all need to be included in your
        gear. Hammocks range in style from simple to ornate but the simpler
        ones are usually the best after a long day. A solid bottom (not
        mesh), a bug net, a good fly and some way to hang it without damaging
        trees covers the basics. Look over the list or check out the many web
        pages linked in the Hammock Newletter Ed publishes. He covers just
        about evern hammock know to the internet in it. Spacific questions?
        fire away.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tory1942" <tory1942@...> wrote:

        > Anyone experienced using hammocks when motorcycle (motor scooter)
        > camping. Not so much concerned about ultralightweight, as the machine
        > carries the load. I have a Suzuki Burbman AN650 (supposedly,
        > a 'scooter), and am interested in what I might carry if
        > unexpectedly 'caught out'.
        >
        > K. Young

      • ronbellar
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
          I use a hammock whenever I do one-up touring. I'm somewhat amazed at
          how far ahead of bikers ultralight hikers are when it comes to
          space-saving ideas.

          I think it's a great way to motorcycle camp. Even though you're right
          about not being as concerned about weight, a hammock does save a lot
          of space you can use to pack other things. And space is always at a
          premium when motorcycling touring. I also carry a soda can stove when
          I bike camp. Most other bikers I see carry much more elaborate stoves,
          which baffles me, since the only thing I've ever seen bikers use their
          stoves for it to heat up water for their morning coffee and wash-up.

          One thing that I do that may be a little different than other hammock
          campers is that I carry a cheap stadium seat (I have a huge Givi truck
          on my bike). This is a really cheap one that has nylon straps that
          hold the stadium seat's two pads together. That way, I have a seat
          when I'm sitting around the camp. When it's time for bed, I unhook the
          straps to unfold the pads and slip the now-flat seat under my sleeping
          bag.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
            Hi K.

            I have been playing with motorcycles along with camping for about 8
            months now.

            I started because the bike is a good way to self shuttle on the AT.
            Now, I have gotten interested in bike touring too.

            I think most of the same principles apply to both ultralight hiking and
            motorcycle touring. The lighter the better from a load perspective, and
            space is valuable real estate.

            Thus far, I have done best by taking my normal very light backpack and
            strapping it sideways on the back seat over two saddlebags. The saddle
            bags have my motorcycle specific gear and the backpack is my camping
            outfit.

            Of course, a hammock is a big part of that. My plan is to find a place
            to hang that hammock almost all the time. My backup plan is to use the
            tarp tied to the bike and set up like an A frame and sleep on grass.
            The tarp will be set up on the side away from the kickstand and in front
            of the bike whenever I can do that... No reason to wake up and find
            that a bike is laying on my legs.

            Pan on this list has done a LOT of bike camping. I am sure he will pipe
            up in a moment...

            BTW, I have started a Blog that will follow my ultralight hiking and
            ultralight motorcycle touring this summer...

            http://risks-hiking.blogspot.com/

            Oh, and my touring bike is a Kawasaki VN750.

            Rick

            tory1942 wrote:
            > Anyone experienced using hammocks when motorcycle (motor scooter)
            > camping. Not so much concerned about ultralightweight, as the machine
            > carries the load. I have a Suzuki Burbman AN650 (supposedly,
            > a 'scooter), and am interested in what I might carry if
            > unexpectedly 'caught out'.
            >
            > K. Young

          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
              Heh heh. It's funny to me when something that will go 0-60 in about 7
              seconds is a "scooter".

              Bill in Houston