Sad Day

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
      So um...this used to be my favorite hammock.

      This is what I made my first WarmHammock from, then I took it apart so
      it was just a single-layer hammock. But where the corner of the
      underlayer was, I had a weak area because it had some serious
      backstitching on it that I had to rip out. I think that's where it
      failed.

      This is the one I left blowing around in the wind at Winnemucca, too -
      I'm sure that didn't help any.
    • marta_clark
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

        > So um...this used to be my favorite hammock.

        My condolences. So are you going to throw it away? Or keep it in an
        honored place in the gear closet? Or recycle the pieces into new
        projects?

        Marta
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
          jwj32542 wrote:
          > So um...this used to be my favorite hammock.

          Sad, but an opportunity, no?

          Rick
        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
            So sad. I am sure that it will live on in your memories, and in new
            projects. Let us not be sad that you have lost your dear hammock, but
            grateful for the time that we had while it was with us.

            :-)

            Bill in Houston

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:

            > So um...this used to be my favorite hammock.

            > This is what I made my first WarmHammock from, then I took it apart
            so
            > it was just a single-layer hammock. But where the corner of the
            > underlayer was, I had a weak area because it had some serious
            > backstitching on it that I had to rip out. I think that's where it
            > failed.
            >
            > This is the one I left blowing around in the wind at Winnemucca, too -

            > I'm sure that didn't help any.

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
              May I recommend that we start a tradition for our honored friends, who after
              many nights of service keeping us from the horrid ground, have finally
              succumbed to the effects of gravity. They show us the transience of
              existence, indeed they remind us of our own inevitable mortality.

              I propose that at an appropriate time, at a camp, with a fire, with some
              dear friends the hammock which has served you so well be burned with all
              honour. Perhaps it would be well to raise a glass while recounting the many
              joint adventures.

              And may the same be done with you on your inevitable demise.

              Ralph

            • Bill in Houston
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
                Badly OT, but standing orders for my funeral are to gather at the local
                go-kart track, tell funny stories about me, and then thrash the karts
                until they throw you out.

                Bill in Houston

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark" <marta_clark@...>
                  wrote:

                  > My condolences. So are you going to throw it away? Or keep it in
                  an
                  > honored place in the gear closet? Or recycle the pieces into new
                  > projects?

                  Haha - I have a hard time throwing things away if I think they might
                  serve a purpose one day. I'll probably put it in my fabric box and
                  hope it finds an honored place in some new piece of gear one day...
                • sebastiantoney
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
                    Why not make another gear hammock with it?
                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
                      On 3/22/06, Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:

                      > Badly OT, but standing orders for my funeral are to gather at the local
                      > go-kart track, tell funny stories about me, and then thrash the karts until
                      > they throw you out.
                      >
                      > Bill in Houston

                      My wife is going to buy the yappy little dog I won't let her get and bring
                      it to my funeral!!! :]

                      Ralph

                      PS this sounds like it developing into a Kampfire thread... :]

                    • jwj32542
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 22, 2006
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Why not make another gear hammock with it?

                        It's about the right size now, but what would I do with the other four?
                        ;p

                        Jeff