[Hammock Camping] Re: Catenary tarp

  • Rat
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2006
      I just used 1 inch for every foot of length, ie, a 10 foot side has
      a 10 inch sag or curve. I didn't use the Cat generator in the files
      section although I did review it extensivley, as well as pick the
      brains of the people who had already built a cat cut tarp. And I
      came up with one inch per foot from that.

      I also cut my ridgline on a cat, but a little less. For my ten foot
      ridgeline I used only 8 inches of sag, for more headroom. It is
      working just fine so far.

      I also built one with grossgrain ribbon on the edges and it does
      pitch a lot better it seems, gives it more structure or something.
      It is a lot more work though and I did my final one with a rolled
      hem, ala Youngblood.

      The generator is best if you don't have a place big enough to hold
      10 or 12 feet of tarp up, lik a long enough wall, but I do, so it
      was easier to just hang it and go from there. I did make templates
      though.

      My tarp is a square, 10 by 10, with 2 tie outs per side, and while
      the pitch options are more limited than a non cat tarp, it's really
      nothing a little imagination and some 550 cord can't overcome.

      Buy some cheap fabric and build your first tarps with it, I used
      poly tarps from Wal-Mart. You will learn a TON and, hopefully, you
      will still be able to use them around the house or when car camping
      or something. I use them as loaners to people who want to try tarps
      for the first time. They may be ugly but they shed water!

      Rat