Re: Catenary tarp

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 20, 2006
      Make the edge cuts whatever looks good to you. Youngblood had a good
      point about looking at what is loose on the flat tarp and then cutting
      that out. Occam's razor in action - the simplest answer is usually the
      right answer.

      On the ridgeline, several thoughts.
      Don't cut out much. Maybe just a couple of inches. Using the
      Youngblood "cut away what looks loose" concept, if you think about a
      pitched tarp, and the loose stuff at the ridgeline, reaching up there
      and pinching just a couple of inches would be enough to take out that
      looseness. I took too much out of the center of mine and ended up with
      too much sag in the ridgeline.

      Not a personal poke at Brian or Jeff, but I think that the "optimal
      pitch angle" thing is a red herring. At nearly any angle, taking a
      couple of inches out of the center will result in a tighter pitch.
      Full stop. Is there a perfect angle for a given amount of cut? Sure.
      But it helps at every other angle as well. In my opinion, anyway.

      Like Youngblood says, the seams start to look a little wrinkly. I sew
      poorly enough that it didn't bother me. ;-) I think that it is mostly
      a cosmetic thing, and that any notching or other stuff to try to fix it
      will probably weaken the structure of the tarp or cause stress risers.

      I recommend making cardboard or paper cutouts. I tried marking
      directly on the fabric based on the measurements from the spreadsheet,
      and it was a pain. Templates are well worth the effort.

      Just my opinions. Good luck and have fun.

      Bill in Houston