Re: [Hammock Camping] hanging hammock

  • Craig Stephanski
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2006
      reason being the more slack you have the looser the sides and then you can lay on the diagonal....craig

      chainringmd5500 <chainringmd5500@...> wrote: My mentor into hammock camping was using a Hennessy. I bought a
      Hennessy. He taught me to tie out cords about shoulder high and 10-12
      feet apart. That suits the entry requirement, birth canal type with
      Hennessy, and of the hang line for a fairly level hammock. I've used a
      hanging level over the taught line for equalizing the level of hammock.
      Ed Speer's book recommends hanging the hammock 12-14 feet between
      trees. Claiming a looser hang will actually allow user to lie flatter
      inside. Thoughts invited.

    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chainringmd5500"
        <chainringmd5500@...> wrote:

        > Ed Speer's book recommends hanging the hammock 12-14 feet between
        > trees. Claiming a looser hang will actually allow user to lie
        flatter
        > inside. Thoughts invited.

        The other responses were correct, but FYI Ed Speer owns/moderates this
        list so you can ask questions like that directly to him here. Of
        course, a simple question like that will usually get several different
        answers (all amounting to "it depends on the conditions" :). Great
        place for discussions and there's rarely a harsh word - ask away!

        And FWIW, most people hang it loose, but even with a Speer-type some
        folks hang it pretty tight and deal with the shoulder squeeze. I did
        that for a while and it worked well, then one day I woke up with sore
        shoulders so I started hanging it looser. Works for me - just find
        what's comfortable for you and stick with it.

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 18, 2006
          I'm in agreement with the previous replies as well. Sometimes a
          hammock is not just a hammock and they don't hang the same way. The
          Hennessys do use a structural ridgeline, the Speers do not and a
          structural ridgeline CAN affect how you want to hang your hammock. The
          Speers use a ridgeline WHEN you want to deploy its bugnet but it is not
          a structural ridgeline in that it is not intended to set the sag of the
          hammock and shouldn't be used that way. I wrote a little article in an
          attempt to explain the differences and compare how to hang both styles
          of hammocks. That article was in the January issue of Ed's Hammock
          Camping Newsletter (third item:
          http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/2006/Jan2006.htm ). I hope
          it adds some insight into the differences.

          Dave
        • Bill in Houston
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 20, 2006
            There are lots of opinions on it. Do what you like. I tried hanging
            my speer-type loose, and I couldn't stand it. So I hang it pretty
            tight relative to what others do, I think. Risk hangs his tight too.
            But, theoretically, looser gives a flatter bed to lie on...

            Bill in Houston