Re: Insulation ideas

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 16, 2006
      It is my understanding that "breathing" and "insulation" are pretty
      much opposites. Insulation works by minimizing the scale of
      convection currents in the air.

      Something like ceramic microspheres would be good in that it would
      not lose loft if it got damp, but it would also not be compressable.
      Kind of like a high tech beanbag chair. :-)

      Moisture in the insulation is inevitable, unless 1)there is enough
      circulation or 2) the insulation is thin enough, either of which
      would keep the dew point from occurring inside the insulation. Which
      also means you would be cold.

      Down and fibrous synthetics allow a certain amount of moisture to
      continue to move through the insulation by diffusion even after the
      moisture has begun to condense, which makes them less likely to feel
      wet on your skin than a closed cell insulation.

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul V." <cruisenewsnet@...>