Re: zhammock and silk?

  • kbwaddy
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
      try a narrower zig zag width to keep from bunching, or try folding the hem an
      extra time to get it thicker, this may help.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston" <
      zippydooda@...> wrote:

      > I know I'm late, but I wanted to say that I had the same "bunching"
      > experience with a zigzag stitch. Ended up feeding the fabric with both
      > hands to keep it stretched width-wise...
      >
      > Bill in Houston
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rollerblaz123" <rollerblaz@>
      > wrote:
      > > during sewing, the
      > > fabric also seemed to bunch up and get pulled to the middle a bit, we
      > > were using a zig-zag stich, with a somewhat wide setting, >

    • tanpuma
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 14, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark" <marta_clark@...>
        wrote:

        > I haven't tried a silk hammock myself, but I'd be a little concerned
        > about sudden failure of the fabric.
        Sorry to drop in here out of the Blue:
        I am an artist that works with some textiles, one of the big factors
        with certain fabrics is washing it in the wrong soap, or in heavily
        chlorinated water. A silk hammock , or even heavy jeans can be eaten
        by chlorine. Probably a hammock needs less washing than clothing.
        ALso the weave and quality of the fabric can cause failure.
        I would stick with fabric other people have used from a known
        supplier using the same weave. Hang low and keep critters away.
        Liam