Newbie with ?? re: couples hammocking

  • mommyveggie27511
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2006
      Has anyone shared a hammock with their mate for more than one night?
      ? How did it go?? What brand and style did you use? He is six ft
      200 lbs. I am 5'3 and less than 140. We are thinking of using it on
      sections of the AT. Any advice will be heavily weighed before we buy
      the hammock.

      Thank you,
      mommyveggie

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mommyveggie27511"
          <MommyVeggie@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone shared a hammock with their mate for more than one
          night?
          > ? How did it go?? What brand and style did you use? He is six ft
          > 200 lbs. I am 5'3 and less than 140. We are thinking of using
          it on
          > sections of the AT. Any advice will be heavily weighed before we
          buy
          > the hammock.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > mommyveggie

          I have tried to accomplish what you are looking into over a weekend
          hike in a Hennessy Safari (the largest Tom makes) and I can tell you
          that it was NOT a good experience. When one moves the other has no
          choice but to move as well. not to mention you tend to sweat alot
          where you two are making contact and that make whatever else you are
          lying on wet as well. Also, the mosquito factor. If you don't
          have a pad to lay in the hammock your butt is going to get bit and
          it's tough to keep two pads underneath each of you while you are
          trying to sleep. There is alot more than just what I have mentioned
          to think about as well, but, if you two are inseperable then give it
          a try. I would personally either purchase or make two hammocks and
          hang them side by side. Good luck with your experimentation. Craig
        • karens62@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2006
            If you do a search in the archives on "for two" and "for 2", including the quotation marks, I believe you will find a couple of lengthy threads on this specific topic. There are also several photos int he photo file of some 2 person options.

            Karen

            > Has anyone shared a hammock with their mate for more than one
            night?
            > ? How did it go?? What brand and style did you use? He is six ft
            > 200 lbs. I am 5'3 and less than 140. We are thinking of using
            it on
            > sections of the AT. Any advice will be heavily weighed before we
            buy
            > the hammock.
            >
            > Thank you,
            > mommyveggie

            I have tried to accomplish what you are looking into over a weekend
            hike in a Hennessy Safari (the largest Tom makes) and I can tell you
            that it was NOT a good experience. When one moves the other has no
            choice but to move as well. not to mention you tend to sweat alot
            where you two are making contact and that make whatever else you are
            lying on wet as well. Also, the mosquito factor. If you don't
            have a pad to lay in the hammock your butt is going to get bit and
            it's tough to keep two pads underneath each of you while you are
            trying to sleep. There is alot more than just what I have mentioned
            to think about as well, but, if you two are inseperable then give it
            a try. I would personally either purchase or make two hammocks and
            hang them side by side. Good luck with your experimentation. Craig

          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 13, 2006
              Spent just a few hours in my hammock with my 80 lb son one night. It
              was brutal. I would not recommend trying to sleep in the same hammock
              with a spouse. The V setup or the outrigger/spreader setup others have
              mentioned would be a lot better for two people wanting to sleep in
              close proximity.

              Bill in Houston

            • MommyVeggie@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 13, 2006
                Thank you to you and others that responded. We definitely ordered two N.
                Am. Clark jungle hammocks. Hope this fits our needs. We wanted to go lighter
                and cheaper, but when we added all the padding etc to the HH we ended up with
                the price and weight of the Clarks. Hope these will be warm enough as that is
                a concern of ours even in summer. We have read som great ideas for pads here
                though.

                Thanks again,
                Jan