Gearskin-Hammock-combo?

  • danefliedner
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2006
      I have been playing around with the idea of making a gearskin-hammock
      combo... ie make a homemade hammock, and then sew onto the bottom side
      some shoulder straps/hippad (maybe similar to the G4 GVP design with
      empty spaces to put socks etc for padding). Fold/roll in the hammock
      in half similar to the gearskin concept, then though it would be neat
      to use treehugger/webbing straps as the side lashings (ie maybe sew
      some ladderloops as attachment points, and recycle the webbing and
      maybe spectra cordage as additional lashing on the back section when
      in backpack mode)Thought this design may help offset some of the
      additional weight penalty of hammocking and really multi-function all
      the hammock components. Combine this with a tarp/rainponcho combo and
      seems like it could really add up to some serious weight savings! Has
      anyone of the "oldtimers" :) tried this already? Or do people not
      really use this because it would not work with snakeskins?
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "danefliedner"
        <danefliedner@...> wrote:

        > I have been playing around with the idea of making a gearskin-
        hammock
        > combo...

        Sounds like a plan...be sure to post pics! :p

        You'd have to be careful about snagging it on brush and rocks...a
        little hole in a pack isn't a big deal, but a little hole in a hammock
        could cause failure. Just like other lightweight gear, though...a
        little extra care and it works fine.

        You gonna prototype it, or just thinking about ideas?
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2006
          dane... sounds like it has great possibilitys. one thing that comes to mind is that any sewing that`s done to the hammock (other than the hemed edeges), could cause weak spots as your body weight strechs the fabric. rick sewed across his warm hammock w/o problems, but he was just loosely attaching a layer of insulation w/ light weight shell. no real stress was added to the hammock from that addition.
          but shoulder straps would certianly pull on the fabric when being worn on the trail, stresing the fabric that needs to suport you...even w/ a very light load. but mabey you could concider a double hammock. that way, the user could lay on an undisturbed top layer, while the shoulder straps, etc, would be attached to the non load bearing bottom layer. just a thought or two. ...tim

[...]

          tim garner

        • danefliedner
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 13, 2006

            > but mabey you could concider a double hammock. that way, the user
            could lay on an undisturbed top layer, while the shoulder straps, etc,
            would be attached to the non load bearing bottom layer. just a
            thought or two. ...tim

            That sounds like a good idea. Rosaleen had similar comments, and that
            was my worry, too, which is why I wanted to poll the peanut gallery. I
            think a double hammock would probably work, sewing the straps onto the
            bottom layer, then using that (in hammock mode) to hold any additional
            insulation in place. Makes me wonder, though, if doing that makes it a
            bit of a moot point over just having a gearskin, since the additional
            fabric would weigh basically the same. Dane