Re: [Hammock Camping] Digest Number 1200

  • Moe T. Crow
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2006
      just wondering, if you are using a 2 layer hammock, why not just place
      them between the layers. at home i have been sleeping on a 2 layer
      test hammock (no sewing) for a few months now, (average 6 nights a
      week), and i keep a pad that way, it works a lot better than trying to
      sleep on the pad itself. ( i put a pad in the hammock and turn the
      heat down while i am sleeping, testing GA winter weather....)

      Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 14:05:25 -0000
      From: "Paul V." <cruisenewsnet@...>
      Subject: Closed cell pads, doubled

      I am trying to use two closed cell pads in a Zhammock (2 layer
      hammock) for use in 30F conditions. One full length pad will go inside
      the hammock as a normal pad.

      The other pad will be cut in half to make two pieces of about 3 feet
      in length. The halves will be laid crossways under the hips and
      shoulders. To hold them in place, I am thinking about using webbing
      straps threaded through slits in the pads.

      I think I saw a picture of this on Sgt Rock's site. Has anyone else
      tried this? Are there any better ideas than webbing to hold the
      shoulder and hip pads in place? I like the segmented pad extender
      idea but would like to try doubling the pads under the hips and
      shoulders for a little better cold weather protection (I'm also out of
      nylon fabric!).
    • Paul V.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Moe T. Crow" <moetcrow@...> wrote:

        > just wondering, if you are using a 2 layer hammock, why not just place
        > them between the layers. at home i have been sleeping on a 2 layer
        > test hammock (no sewing) for a few months now, (average 6 nights a
        > week), and i keep a pad that way, it works a lot better than trying to
        > sleep on the pad itself. ( i put a pad in the hammock and turn the
        > heat down while i am sleeping, testing GA winter weather....)

        I put the pad between the layers. I have tried it for a short time
        with nothing connecting the long pad and the cross pads. I assume
        that the cross pads would move during the night if they were not
        fastened in some way. Maybe no fastening is necessary?