Closed cell pads, doubled

  • Paul V.
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
      I am trying to use two closed cell pads in a Zhammock (2 layer
      hammock) for use in 30F conditions. One full length pad will go inside
      the hammock as a normal pad.

      The other pad will be cut in half to make two pieces of about 3 feet
      in length. The halves will be laid crossways under the hips and
      shoulders. To hold them in place, I am thinking about using webbing
      straps threaded through slits in the pads.

      I think I saw a picture of this on Sgt Rock's site. Has anyone else
      tried this? Are there any better ideas than webbing to hold the
      shoulder and hip pads in place? I like the segmented pad extender
      idea but would like to try doubling the pads under the hips and
      shoulders for a little better cold weather protection (I'm also out of
      nylon fabric!).
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
        I've connected various pad configurations with self stick velcro. It
        has held up well and makes it easy to vary the setup to meet
        expected temps.

        Steve

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul V." <cruisenewsnet@...>
        wrote:

        > I am trying to use two closed cell pads in a Zhammock (2 layer
        > hammock) for use in 30F conditions. One full length pad will go
        inside
        > the hammock as a normal pad.
        >
        > The other pad will be cut in half to make two pieces of about 3
        feet
        > in length. The halves will be laid crossways under the hips and
        > shoulders. To hold them in place, I am thinking about using
        webbing
        > straps threaded through slits in the pads.
        >
        > I think I saw a picture of this on Sgt Rock's site. Has anyone
        else
        > tried this? Are there any better ideas than webbing to hold the
        > shoulder and hip pads in place? I like the segmented pad extender
        > idea but would like to try doubling the pads under the hips and
        > shoulders for a little better cold weather protection (I'm also
        out of
        > nylon fabric!).

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
          wrote:
          > Are there any better ideas than webbing to hold the
          > shoulder and hip pads in place?

          Don't know if it's better, but here's another idea. Someone said they
          cut SPE-type wings from a CCF pad and duct taped them to the normal
          pad. To pack, they just folded the wings down and rolled the whole
          thing up. I don't know how durable that would be, but for the price
          of a CCF pad and a but of duct tape it's probably worth it to find out.
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
            paul... on another site i read about people having good results gluing differant types/thickness CCF pads together for differant tempertures. they suggested using something like barges glue (thin layer) on both surfaces. alow to dry for about 15 minutes, then pound the pads together w/ a rubber mallet. i haven`t got around to trying it yet, but if it`s a good bond, it would probably work for the cross pads as well. only problem is that it would be one big, bulky thing to try & pack. i`m wondering if the duct tape would`nt work better... at least at the places you want it to fold. ...tim

            "Paul V." <cruisenewsnet@...> wrote: I am trying to use two closed cell pads in a Zhammock (2 layer
            hammock) for use in 30F conditions. One full length pad will go inside
            the hammock as a normal pad.

            The other pad will be cut in half to make two pieces of about 3 feet
            in length. The halves will be laid crossways under the hips and
            shoulders. To hold them in place, I am thinking about using webbing
            straps threaded through slits in the pads.

            I think I saw a picture of this on Sgt Rock's site. Has anyone else
            tried this? Are there any better ideas than webbing to hold the
            shoulder and hip pads in place? I like the segmented pad extender
            idea but would like to try doubling the pads under the hips and
            shoulders for a little better cold weather protection (I'm also out of
            nylon fabric!).

            tim garner

          • jonas4321
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
              Have you tried putting them in without anything to keep them in place?
              My experience with the ZHammock is that the pads pretty much stay
              where they are in between the layers, especially once I'm in the
              hammock. Maybe I'm just lucky, though.

              An idea might be to add strips of the no-skid shelf stuff to the pads
              and let friction do its thing.

              Good luck!

              wrote:

              > I am trying to use two closed cell pads in a Zhammock (2 layer
              > hammock) for use in 30F conditions. One full length pad will go inside
              > the hammock as a normal pad.
              >
              > The other pad will be cut in half to make two pieces of about 3 feet
              > in length. The halves will be laid crossways under the hips and
              > shoulders. To hold them in place, I am thinking about using webbing
              > straps threaded through slits in the pads.
              >
              > I think I saw a picture of this on Sgt Rock's site. Has anyone else
              > tried this? Are there any better ideas than webbing to hold the
              > shoulder and hip pads in place? I like the segmented pad extender
              > idea but would like to try doubling the pads under the hips and
              > shoulders for a little better cold weather protection (I'm also out of
              > nylon fabric!).

            • Rosaleen Sullivan
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
                Paul-

                I haven't looked at that part of Sgt. Rock's site for a couple of years or more, but didn't he SEW the pads together?

                Rosaleen

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
                  I don't know how a zhammock is made so I can't comment on that. I do have an SPE and you can slip two pads in the main section to double the thickness. On the web site you can see that they've inserted a blue pad and what looks like a thermorest together.

                  Rosaleen Sullivan <rosaleen43@...> wrote: Paul-

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 10, 2006
                    Paul,
                    Here is what I did for the configuration you want. Based on using a 20"
                    wide by 1/2" thick CC pad, I cut two pieces of material to 22" wide by
                    5' long (I used a Neat Sheet found on sale at WalMart, but any material
                    will do). I sewed a hem on each to prevent fraying, then sewed both
                    together at the head end and down about 8" on each side so that I only
                    have one thickness under my head. I left a 21" gap, made a tack on each
                    side, left a 21" gap, then sewed the sides together down to the bottom,
                    leaving the bottom open to insert the full length pad. I then inserted
                    a 36" piece of pad through each of the openings from the side. This
                    gives me a 40" long double thickness from my shoulders to below my hips
                    and a single thickness down to my feet plus 8" wings on each side. You
                    could modify this by cutting the second pad shorter in length and
                    width. The weight of my material is 6 oz. Add in the weight of the two
                    pads (24 oz) and I have a 30 oz insulating system. Yes, I know you can
                    buy or make underquilts that will save you weight and volume, but can
                    you find them for around $12 and still provide comfort if you need to
                    go to ground (or worse yet, sleep on a wooden platform)? Good luck with
                    your project.
                  • Paul V.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 11, 2006
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "joei4515" <joei4515@...> wrote:

                      > Paul,
                      > Here is what I did for the configuration you want. Based on using a 20"
                      > wide by 1/2" thick CC pad, I cut two pieces of material to 22" wide by
                      > 5' long (I used a Neat Sheet found on sale at WalMart, but any material
                      > will do). I sewed a hem on each to prevent fraying, then sewed both
                      > together at the head end and down about 8" on each side so that I only
                      > have one thickness under my head. I left a 21" gap, made a tack on each
                      > side, left a 21" gap, then sewed the sides together down to the bottom,
                      > leaving the bottom open to insert the full length pad. I then inserted
                      > a 36" piece of pad through each of the openings from the side. This
                      > gives me a 40" long double thickness from my shoulders to below my hips
                      > and a single thickness down to my feet plus 8" wings on each side. You
                      > could modify this by cutting the second pad shorter in length and
                      > width. The weight of my material is 6 oz. Add in the weight of the two
                      > pads (24 oz) and I have a 30 oz insulating system. Yes, I know you can
                      > buy or make underquilts that will save you weight and volume, but can
                      > you find them for around $12 and still provide comfort if you need to
                      > go to ground (or worse yet, sleep on a wooden platform)? Good luck with
                      > your project.

                      That sounds like a good solution. I may try to sew something up
                      tomorrow.

                      The other issue to deal with is the bulk of the closed cell pads. I
                      roll them up and have a piece of double sided velcro to fasten around
                      the roll. The pads are very big when rolled. I carry them outside of
                      my pack, but I'm still looking for a good way to strap them on. I
                      guess it depends on the type of pack. I will keep experimenting.
                    • Paul V.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 12, 2006
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "joei4515" <joei4515@...> wrote:

                        > Paul,
                        > Here is what I did for the configuration you want. Based on using a 20"
                        > wide by 1/2" thick CC pad, I cut two pieces of material to 22" wide by
                        > 5' long (I used a Neat Sheet found on sale at WalMart, but any material
                        > will do). I sewed a hem on each to prevent fraying, then sewed both
                        > together at the head end and down about 8" on each side so that I only
                        > have one thickness under my head. I left a 21" gap, made a tack on each
                        > side, left a 21" gap, then sewed the sides together down to the bottom,
                        > leaving the bottom open to insert the full length pad. I then inserted
                        > a 36" piece of pad through each of the openings from the side. This
                        > gives me a 40" long double thickness from my shoulders to below my hips
                        > and a single thickness down to my feet plus 8" wings on each side. You
                        > could modify this by cutting the second pad shorter in length and
                        > width. The weight of my material is 6 oz. Add in the weight of the two
                        > pads (24 oz) and I have a 30 oz insulating system. Yes, I know you can
                        > buy or make underquilts that will save you weight and volume, but can
                        > you find them for around $12 and still provide comfort if you need to
                        > go to ground (or worse yet, sleep on a wooden platform)? Good luck with
                        > your project.

                        I made one of these this afternoon out of dollar a yard canvas. I
                        also made a canvas hammock for my boat. It seems to hold the pads in
                        place well. This seems to be a good cold weather solution.
                      • dlfrost_1
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 12, 2006
                          wrote:
                          > The other issue to deal with is the bulk of the closed cell pads. I
                          > roll them up and have a piece of double sided velcro to fasten
                          around
                          > the roll. The pads are very big when rolled. I carry them outside
                          of
                          > my pack, but I'm still looking for a good way to strap them on. I
                          > guess it depends on the type of pack. I will keep experimenting.

                          One trick I've used with bulky pads is to "scroll roll" them. That
                          is, instead of rolling one up from one end to the other, roll it from
                          both ends towards the middle. It won't reduce the bulk, but it does
                          make the thing lie alot flatter for strapping to the back of a pack.
                          It's less likely to interfere with a pack cover, for example.

                          Doug Frost
                        • Bill in Houston
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 13, 2006
                            Maybe just make holes and use a shoelace or paracord.

                            Bill in Houston