Re: Hammock sleeping pad

  • Fuzzy
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2006
      Hmmm... maybe I *will* apply for that new pack test.

      Fuzzy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@...> wrote:

      > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for the same reasons as Fuzzy. And I
      > use it with a BA Zirkel, the pad sleeve keeps it from ever getting
      > out from under me! Folded over 3x it works as back padding in the
      > sleeve of my GVP 4 pack, and barrel shaped and slightly inflated it
      > made a good frame for my Golite Gust pack.
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for a number of reasons:
      > > 1) I already have one.
      > > 2) It is rated to 15°F, and I have successfully taken it down to
      > the
      > > low 20°s - in a hammock - with no wind.
      > > 3) It makes the ground bearable for my aging bones and arthritis
      > when I
      > > need to go to ground.
      > > 4) It weighs under a pound (72" Mummy version).
      > > 5) Its 70 dernier fabric is plenty sturdy for the way I treat my
      > gear.
      > >
      > > Downside - I can't readily use it as a frame for frameless packs.
      > >
      > > Fuzzy
    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@...> wrote:

        > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for the same reasons as Fuzzy. And I
        > use it with a BA Zirkel, the pad sleeve keeps it from ever getting
        > out from under me! Folded over 3x it works as back padding in the
        > sleeve of my GVP 4 pack

        Do you mean 3 folds (Half-half-half or 8 thicknesses, ~20x9") or 3
        thicknesses (20x24")?

        Fuzzy
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
          I 1st fold the mat in 3rds lengthwise (10") as I would to roll it to
          fit into the
          stuff sack. Then in 1/2 twice from end to end giving me a 10" x
          20" pad with 9 layers. The GVP 4 pack mesh stretches easily to
          contain
          it.

          Steve

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@...>