Re: Hammock sleeping pad

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2006
      I use a BA Insulated Air Core for the same reasons as Fuzzy. And I
      use it with a BA Zirkel, the pad sleeve keeps it from ever getting
      out from under me! Folded over 3x it works as back padding in the
      sleeve of my GVP 4 pack, and barrel shaped and slightly inflated it
      made a good frame for my Golite Gust pack.

      Steve

      > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for a number of reasons:
      > 1) I already have one.
      > 2) It is rated to 15°F, and I have successfully taken it down to
      the
      > low 20°s - in a hammock - with no wind.
      > 3) It makes the ground bearable for my aging bones and arthritis
      when I
      > need to go to ground.
      > 4) It weighs under a pound (72" Mummy version).
      > 5) Its 70 dernier fabric is plenty sturdy for the way I treat my
      gear.

      > Downside - I can't readily use it as a frame for frameless packs.
      >
      > Fuzzy

    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2006
        Hmmm... maybe I *will* apply for that new pack test.

        Fuzzy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@...> wrote:

        > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for the same reasons as Fuzzy. And I
        > use it with a BA Zirkel, the pad sleeve keeps it from ever getting
        > out from under me! Folded over 3x it works as back padding in the
        > sleeve of my GVP 4 pack, and barrel shaped and slightly inflated it
        > made a good frame for my Golite Gust pack.
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for a number of reasons:
        > > 1) I already have one.
        > > 2) It is rated to 15°F, and I have successfully taken it down to
        > the
        > > low 20°s - in a hammock - with no wind.
        > > 3) It makes the ground bearable for my aging bones and arthritis
        > when I
        > > need to go to ground.
        > > 4) It weighs under a pound (72" Mummy version).
        > > 5) Its 70 dernier fabric is plenty sturdy for the way I treat my
        > gear.
        > >
        > > Downside - I can't readily use it as a frame for frameless packs.
        > >
        > > Fuzzy
      • Fuzzy
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@...> wrote:

          > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for the same reasons as Fuzzy. And I
          > use it with a BA Zirkel, the pad sleeve keeps it from ever getting
          > out from under me! Folded over 3x it works as back padding in the
          > sleeve of my GVP 4 pack

          Do you mean 3 folds (Half-half-half or 8 thicknesses, ~20x9") or 3
          thicknesses (20x24")?

          Fuzzy
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
            I 1st fold the mat in 3rds lengthwise (10") as I would to roll it to
            fit into the
            stuff sack. Then in 1/2 twice from end to end giving me a 10" x
            20" pad with 9 layers. The GVP 4 pack mesh stretches easily to
            contain
            it.

            Steve

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@...>