Ed Speers hammock kit

  • wsdhnet
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2003
      I wanted to thank Ed publicly for the most excellent hammock kit. I
      ordered it last week, it arrived today and I have read about a third
      of the book so far. The kit is complete with everything you need
      except for a sewing machine. The instructions are quite clear and
      even though I am not an expert seamster (?) I don't think it will be
      hard at all to make the hammock.

      The book is excellent and even if you don't want to make your own,
      get the book. There is a ton of great information. Even though I
      have owned another type of hammock and spent some time last year
      using it, I still have learned a few new tricks. The one thing that
      impressed me was the presentation of the book. I think I was
      expecting something less than a professionally bound and printed
      text. The cover is very well done and all of the illustrations in
      the book are clear and concise.

      Highly recommended to anyone interested in hammockcamping.

      John
      Message 2 of 7 , May 6, 2003
        Message
        Thanks for the kind words John. Glad you got the hammock kit and book OK. Of course, if you have any questions while putting it together, just let me know; so far, no one has had any serious problems, but I'd certainly like to know if any crop up.  Do you mind if I use your testimonial in my promotions? These testimonials are very useful and your is well written.  Looking forward to hearing of your experiences with your new hammock...Ed

        Message 3 of 7 , May 6, 2003
          Message
          Hi Ed,

          Sewing my butt off today!  Had a little problem with the thread tension.  COuldn't get it adjusted right until I made an adjustment to the bobbin tension and now it works great.  Can even sew fast!  Had to rip out the first two edge seams but that is all fixed.  Starting on the velcro now.  Should have her swinging in the backyard later today.

          Please feel free to use my testimonial.

          Thanks again,

          John
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            68805b.jpg
            68815b.jpg

          • wsdhnet
            Message 5 of 7 , May 6, 2003
              OK, I have the basic hammock completed, pictures are in the Photos
              section in the JohnK album.

              I don't have two trees to tie off to so had to use the front porch.

              Total time so far, about 2 hours. Most of this time was spent
              fussing with the sewing machine and redoing bad stitching. Once I
              got the thread tension correct, it was a piece of cake.

              So far, I like the straps much better than ropes. A whole lot easier
              to deal with and no knots.

              Bugnet next.....

              John
            • wsdhnet
              Message 6 of 7 , May 6, 2003
                All done. Even nap tested it and it sleeps beautifully. Even in 83
                degrees that feels like 91, I was sleeping like a baby. The cooling
                effect on my back felt good at that temp. The occasional breeze
                helped as well.

                Tomorrow, I will take the whole shebang to the park and set up the
                tarp and the hammock. I added a few more pictures. They are kind of
                dark. Hope to get some better ones tomorrow.

                Thanks again Ed!

                John
                Message 7 of 7 , May 7, 2003
                  Message
                  The pics look good John. glad the sewing went well...Ed