Re: Paraline (and sore butts)

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7 5:16 PM

      > I don't have the numbers with me but I think the 3/8" ropes where
      > about 5 to 6 oz per 25 feet

      Sounds very similar to both the webbing and Spectra/huggers setups I
      have. I could get a bit lighter on the Spectra, but I bought what the
      kitesurfing shop had and it's way stronger than I need...about twice
      the size of what's on the HH BP ULA. But even so, I don't think it
      would save more than an ounce.

      Don't blame you for not falling on your arse over 2 ounces! Though it
      would make a good story...something like that bear that took Seuss'
      thumb and threw Coy out of his hammock.
    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8 5:13 PM
        > I want to lighten my hammock a bit. I have 1" poly straps looped at
        > each end of the fabric (typical homemade hammock) I am considering
        > using Paraline (parachute cord) to replace the straps from bed
        > material to the tree. > Any down side to this? Other than a few
        tangles.....

        David,

        That cord is attached to parachutes by being sewed to the canopy. Any
        knots that are tied reduce the strength of the cord. If you are
        lighter than I am this might work for you. I would try to hang close
        to the ground though. Also keep a close eye out for any abrasion from
        tree bark. You won't know if it will work for you unless you try it.
        Good luck with your testing.

        Brian
        T-BACK