Re: Paraline (and sore butts)

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:
      .

      > Youngblood, how much do your ropes weigh?
      >
      > Jeff

      Jeff,

      I don't have the numbers with me but I think the 3/8" ropes where
      about 5 to 6 oz per 25 feet and the 1/4" ropes were about half that
      amount. I currently use the 3/8" ropes because of a couple of reasons-
      - combination of SWL rating, visible degradation over time and less
      likely to mark tree bark. (For the most part I reconsidered what the
      SWL meant and figured I should just use it instead of creating my own
      number. Being a technical person, I would have felt like a dumb arse
      if I broke a rope and hurt myself by exceeding the SWL determined by
      folks that should know more about such things, especially over 2 or 3
      ounces.)

      Dave
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2006

        > I don't have the numbers with me but I think the 3/8" ropes where
        > about 5 to 6 oz per 25 feet

        Sounds very similar to both the webbing and Spectra/huggers setups I
        have. I could get a bit lighter on the Spectra, but I bought what the
        kitesurfing shop had and it's way stronger than I need...about twice
        the size of what's on the HH BP ULA. But even so, I don't think it
        would save more than an ounce.

        Don't blame you for not falling on your arse over 2 ounces! Though it
        would make a good story...something like that bear that took Seuss'
        thumb and threw Coy out of his hammock.
      • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2006
          > I want to lighten my hammock a bit. I have 1" poly straps looped at
          > each end of the fabric (typical homemade hammock) I am considering
          > using Paraline (parachute cord) to replace the straps from bed
          > material to the tree. > Any down side to this? Other than a few
          tangles.....

          David,

          That cord is attached to parachutes by being sewed to the canopy. Any
          knots that are tied reduce the strength of the cord. If you are
          lighter than I am this might work for you. I would try to hang close
          to the ground though. Also keep a close eye out for any abrasion from
          tree bark. You won't know if it will work for you unless you try it.
          Good luck with your testing.

          Brian
          T-BACK