Re: Paraline (and sore butts)

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"
      <archidaveture@...> wrote:

      > I am considering using Paraline (parachute cord) to replace the
      > straps from bed material to the tree.
      >
      > Any down side to this? Other than a few tangles.....

      Hrm...not if you don't mind being dropped on your butt every now and
      then.

      The breaking strength for most paracord is 550 lbs, which is
      probably sufficient except that knots really reduce that amount.
      Mine failed at the knot and dropped me to the ground.

      And the earlier comment about the stretch is correct. Paracord is
      designed to absorb opening shock so it's pretty elastic...polypro
      straps are good because they doesn't stretch much.

      If you find some really light nylon-sheathed Spectra line and tree
      huggers you might be able to cut off .5-1oz, maybe (just a guess).
      I like the convenience of the straps, though...that's what I usually
      carry.

      Youngblood, how much do your ropes weigh?

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...> wrote:
        .

        > Youngblood, how much do your ropes weigh?
        >
        > Jeff

        Jeff,

        I don't have the numbers with me but I think the 3/8" ropes where
        about 5 to 6 oz per 25 feet and the 1/4" ropes were about half that
        amount. I currently use the 3/8" ropes because of a couple of reasons-
        - combination of SWL rating, visible degradation over time and less
        likely to mark tree bark. (For the most part I reconsidered what the
        SWL meant and figured I should just use it instead of creating my own
        number. Being a technical person, I would have felt like a dumb arse
        if I broke a rope and hurt myself by exceeding the SWL determined by
        folks that should know more about such things, especially over 2 or 3
        ounces.)

        Dave
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2006

          > I don't have the numbers with me but I think the 3/8" ropes where
          > about 5 to 6 oz per 25 feet

          Sounds very similar to both the webbing and Spectra/huggers setups I
          have. I could get a bit lighter on the Spectra, but I bought what the
          kitesurfing shop had and it's way stronger than I need...about twice
          the size of what's on the HH BP ULA. But even so, I don't think it
          would save more than an ounce.

          Don't blame you for not falling on your arse over 2 ounces! Though it
          would make a good story...something like that bear that took Seuss'
          thumb and threw Coy out of his hammock.
        • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2006
            > I want to lighten my hammock a bit. I have 1" poly straps looped at
            > each end of the fabric (typical homemade hammock) I am considering
            > using Paraline (parachute cord) to replace the straps from bed
            > material to the tree. > Any down side to this? Other than a few
            tangles.....

            David,

            That cord is attached to parachutes by being sewed to the canopy. Any
            knots that are tied reduce the strength of the cord. If you are
            lighter than I am this might work for you. I would try to hang close
            to the ground though. Also keep a close eye out for any abrasion from
            tree bark. You won't know if it will work for you unless you try it.
            Good luck with your testing.

            Brian
            T-BACK