Snake skins

  • archidaveture
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 7, 2006
      What is the purpose of Snake Skins, I think thats what they are
      refered to as....(small tube like pieces of material, that can be
      drawn over the hammock when not in use and not hung). Hammock Package
      or something?? Doesnt that just add extra weight? Or do you find them
      helpful in keeping the hammock tangle free? are they worth the extra
      weight?

      David
    • chainringmd5500
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 7, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"
        <archidaveture@...> wrote:

        > What is the purpose of Snake Skins, I think thats what they are
        > refered to as....(small tube like pieces of material, that can be
        > drawn over the hammock when not in use and not hung). Hammock Package
        > or something?? Doesnt that just add extra weight? Or do you find them
        > helpful in keeping the hammock tangle free? are they worth the extra
        > weight?
        >
        > David

        Snake skins are one of the neatest items to come down the taut line
        since sil-nylon stuff sacks. The allow the user to slide the skin from
        each end at take down time, and compress all the fabric and lines into
        one compact line. this slithers down into the backpack, or stuff sack
        for neater packing. On wet mornings it keeps much of the moisture from
        anything touching inside the bag. On set up it allows one to use the
        hammock as a measuring line until the right distance is found between
        trees, without dragging hammock material over the entire area.
      • bill.joyce24
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 7, 2010
          I was just thinking instead of using snake skins on your tarp or hammock what about just using
          velcro strips.
        • Dutch Unlimited
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 11, 2010
            I just use some strings, mostly already (semi) attached for other
            purposes.... No need to add velcro and the piece of cord can double
            function. Anywhere between 1 and 3 pieces of about 8-10 inches.

            Anybody need/want my snakeskins? ;-)

            Grtz Johan

            --
            Met vriendelijke groet,
            Namens Dutch Unlimited, the mobile educator

            Johan van Dijk
            +31 6 44 80 82 63
            -
            Dutch Unlimited, the mobile educator | p/a Marijkestraat 14 | NL - 2291 TK
            Wateringen | Zuid Holland | The Netherlands
            ING banknr. 4203325 | IBAN: NL86INGB0004203325 | BIC (SWIFT): INGBNL2A
            KvK Naaldwijk: 27359242 | BTW-nr: NL179061239B01
            Op al onze opdrachten zijn onze algemene voorwaarden van toepassing. Deze
            vind je op www.dutchunlimited.com

          • Arye P. R.
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 11, 2010
              if you are not using a permanently attached ridge-line you can twist the hammock
              like a twisted rope and eliminate the need for wraps, snakeskins etc

              if you dont want to buy/make wraps, snakeskins etc try womenshose and cut open
              the toe.

              SapereAude,

              Arye P. Rubenstein

              ________________________________

              --
              Met vriendelijkegroet,
              Namens Dutch Unlimited, the mobile educator

              Johan van Dijk
              +31 6 44 80 82 63
              -
              Dutch Unlimited, the mobile educator | p/a Marijkestraat 14 | NL - 2291 TK
              Wateringen | Zuid Holland | The Netherlands
              INGbanknr. 4203325 | IBAN: NL86INGB0004203325 | BIC (SWIFT): INGBNL2A
              KvKNaaldwijk: 27359242 | BTW-nr: NL179061239B01
              Op alonzeopdrachtenzijnonzealgemenevoorwaarden van toepassing. Deze
              vindje op www.dutchunlimited.com

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                Anyone make a hammock from tyvek? If so, how did it hold up?

                CL
              • Aris Dennis
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                  I'd be interested in this too. Would it stretch too much?

                  Good to see this group is still alive! Is Ed still on here?

                  ________________________________

                • ed@speerhammocks.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                    Hi Ariz....I hope to be online here a lot more now that my time has freed up a bit. My thanks to everyone who has posted lately.

                    From: Aris Dennis <apfel1984@...>
                    Sender: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 02:33:26
                    To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>
                    Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Tyvek hammock?

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                      In general tyvek is a little noisy and since it is water proof can form
                      condensation puddles under you.

                      It can be "washed" and made more flexible (and quiet).

                      On another note I just made a hammock from the black " landscape fabric"
                      that you use to block weeds etc.

                      It does pass water readily, and seems to be durable.

                      Ralph
                      On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 3:33 AM, Aris Dennis <apfel1984@...> wrote:

                      > I'd be interested in this too. Would it stretch too much?
                      >
                      > Good to see this group is still alive! Is Ed still on here?
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Cara Lin Bridgman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                        OUCH! I hope you're not saying what it seems like you're saying...

                        CL

                        Ralph Oborn wrote:
                        > It does pass water readily, and seems to be durable.
                      • Ralph Oborn
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 19, 2010
                          On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...>wrote:

                          > OUCH! I hope you're not saying what it seems like you're saying...
                          >
                          > CL

                          As I get older it appears that water seems to pass right through me. :]

                          And it seems like the landscape fabric also allows water to pass right
                          through the material.
                          wheter in liquid or gaseous phases

                          Why what were you thinking????? :]

                          Ralph

                        • Cara Lin Bridgman
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 20, 2010
                            Ralph Oborn wrote:
                            > In general tyvek is a little noisy and since it is water proof
                            > can form condensation puddles under you.
                            >
                            > It can be "washed" and made more flexible (and quiet).

                            Washing tyvek does improve flexibility and greatly reduces the noise. I
                            quite like the texture of washed tyvek. It's very much like paper.

                            Now, why do we get condensation from a waterproof hammock (tyvek,
                            silnylon) and not from a waterproof sleeping pad (thermarest's regular
                            and NeoAir, ensolite pads, etc)?

                            Actually, this last hiking trip (just back two days ago) was so humid
                            day and night, that I've got heat rash all across my lower back.
                            Sleeping on a breathable surface would have probably prevented the heat
                            rash. I was sleeping on a NeoAir.

                            One cold, humid, foggy night a few years ago, when car-camping at about
                            2500 m in elevation, I experimented with wrapping a 'truck windshield'
                            (i.e. about 2 mm of thin 'packing foam' lined with mylar--we can buy
                            these sized for 2-person and 4-person tents) around my hammock as an
                            outside, windproof layer. I did notice a puddle on the lowest point of
                            this layer.

                            A year or so later, I used tyvek to make a 'weathershield' kind of like
                            Hennessey's--mainly to prevent my underquilt from being dampened by
                            splashback. I didn't notice any condensation on the inside layer (more
                            near 0*C nights with heavy fog), but I did notice the whole set-up was
                            much warmer without the 'weathershield'.

                            So, I am noticing some condensation. What about those people who are
                            inserting a layer of mylar (emergency blankets) between them and their
                            underquilts or Hennessey supershelters? What about condensation in a
                            silnylon supershelter?

                            CL
                          • punky
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 20, 2010
                              Tyvek is water resistant, not waterproof, and vapor permeable. This is why it is used to make painter's coveralls - unlike plastic it lets you wear it without soaking in your own sweat.

                              It gets less noisy with washing.

                              It doesn't make a good hammock because it will not support the weight. People at hammock forum have tried. Tore right through. Once it starts, it just tears.

                              I have a tarptent made of Tyvek (the Sublite) for a specific kind of outing - it has been a champ in terms of condensation, and unlike nylon it reflects rather than absorbs the heat of the sun, so it makes a very good desert tent. Camping in Big Sur all the nylon tents were drenched on the inside in the morning and I was dry as a bone. The only time the fabric got wet was in a freeze - the water didn't freeze but it gathered in the fabric so it was wet inside and out, and then it did not dry very easily.

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

                              > In general tyvek is a little noisy and since it is water proof can form
                              > condensation puddles under you.
                              >
                              > It can be "washed" and made more flexible (and quiet).
                              >
                              > On another note I just made a hammock from the black " landscape fabric"
                              > that you use to block weeds etc.
                              >
                              > It does pass water readily, and seems to be durable.
                              >

                              > Ralph
                            • sawyer7271
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 20, 2010
                                There was a thread on this subject on hammockforums.net where an individual did some testing. The person created a couple of gathered end hammocks. One the whippings slid off the end. Once that was fixed, the hammock failed as the tyvek ripped at the larkshead.

                                Stick to Polyester or ripstop nylon, and use your tyvek for a cheap tarp... If you get lucky, some walmarts have fabric departments (but not for much longer). Look for Sharkskin silver ripstop. 7 yards doubled makes a fantastic hammock. My kids use a single layer of this material, and it works great.

                                If you do wash your tyvek, don't use any soap. It does get quieter, but it's still quite noisy in the rain.

                                John