Re: zhammock and silk?

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rollerblaz123"
      > ... during sewing, the
      > fabric also seemed to bunch up and get pulled to the middle a bit,
      we
      > were using a zig-zag stich, with a somewhat wide setting, and
      an '11'
      > singer sewing needle (i think..)

      I had good luck with a straight stitch (about 1.5mm long, and didn't
      get any bunching

      > lets say an 8mm combine with a 5mm? or would it be wiser to just
      > combine 2 layers of the same thicknesses?

      I'd consider the 5mm silk "experimental" as far as the hammock body is
      concerned. For a 2 layer hammock, you might consider something like
      the 8mm (or 10mm) silk for the body, and a thin dwr nylon for the
      outer shell.
    • kbwaddy
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 10, 2006
        i'm confused, are you talking about real silk? is that expensive? and what
        about the 5mm 8mm 10mm, thats not the thickness of the fabric? please
        clarify.
      • rollerblaz123
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 11, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kbwaddy" <kbwaddy@...> wrote:

          > i'm confused, are you talking about real silk? is that expensive? and
          what
          > about the 5mm 8mm 10mm, thats not the thickness of the fabric? please
          > clarify.

          ------------
          hey sorry about my lack of discription... i just get bummed out with
          failed prototypes... yeah i learned about silk from Bill Fornshell over
          at backpackinglight.com. the 5mm 6mm and 10mm are listed as weights,
          and Bill worked out a conversion factor of 1 mm = 3.62 grams. its
          actually pretty cheap... sometimes cheaper then nylon, and feels very
          nice against the skin. im dying some 8mm habotai right now... so we
          will see how it comes out (that white gets dirty fast :( )
          is Bill F a member here?
          mike!

          p.s. www.Thaisilks.com www.dharmatrading.com these are 2 sources i
          use.
        • marta_clark
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
            I haven't tried a silk hammock myself, but I'd be a little concerned
            about sudden failure of the fabric. I've had a number of pairs of
            silk long underwear and other silk clothing and they all develop holes
            at stress points much more quickly than synthetic fabrics do. Silk
            does feel much, much better against the skin, but the consequences of
            fabric failure can be pretty dire with a hammock.

            Marta
          • dlfrost_1
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
              <rollerblaz@...> wrote:
              > yeah i learned about silk from Bill Fornshell over
              > at backpackinglight.com. the 5mm 6mm and 10mm are listed as
              weights,
              > and Bill worked out a conversion factor of 1 mm = 3.62 grams. its
              > actually pretty cheap... sometimes cheaper then nylon, and feels
              very
              > nice against the skin. im dying some 8mm habotai right now... so we
              > will see how it comes out (that white gets dirty fast :( )
              > is Bill F a member here?
              > mike!

              I haven't been watching this thread, but check out this page if it
              hasn't already been mentioned....

              http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/

              Doug Frost
            • Bill in Houston
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
                I know I'm late, but I wanted to say that I had the same "bunching"
                experience with a zigzag stitch. Ended up feeding the fabric with both
                hands to keep it stretched width-wise...

                Bill in Houston

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rollerblaz123" <rollerblaz@...>
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
                  try a narrower zig zag width to keep from bunching, or try folding the hem an
                  extra time to get it thicker, this may help.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston" <
                  zippydooda@...> wrote:

                  > I know I'm late, but I wanted to say that I had the same "bunching"
                  > experience with a zigzag stitch. Ended up feeding the fabric with both
                  > hands to keep it stretched width-wise...
                  >
                  > Bill in Houston
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rollerblaz123" <rollerblaz@>
                  > wrote:
                  > > during sewing, the
                  > > fabric also seemed to bunch up and get pulled to the middle a bit, we
                  > > were using a zig-zag stich, with a somewhat wide setting, >

                • tanpuma
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 14, 2006
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark" <marta_clark@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I haven't tried a silk hammock myself, but I'd be a little concerned
                    > about sudden failure of the fabric.
                    Sorry to drop in here out of the Blue:
                    I am an artist that works with some textiles, one of the big factors
                    with certain fabrics is washing it in the wrong soap, or in heavily
                    chlorinated water. A silk hammock , or even heavy jeans can be eaten
                    by chlorine. Probably a hammock needs less washing than clothing.
                    ALso the weave and quality of the fabric can cause failure.
                    I would stick with fabric other people have used from a known
                    supplier using the same weave. Hang low and keep critters away.
                    Liam