zhammock and silk?

  • rollerblaz123
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2006
      hello everyone, i just got done from my grandma's house, after sewing
      some of my 5mm silk, the fabric can hold my weight in a standard speer
      type hammock (I weigh 140), but when it is sewed, the holes seemed to
      get larger and larger the more i tugged on them. during sewing, the
      fabric also seemed to bunch up and get pulled to the middle a bit, we
      were using a zig-zag stich, with a somewhat wide setting, and an '11'
      singer sewing needle (i think..) does anyone have any sewing
      recomendations when sewing silk? do you think it would be wiser to use
      lets say an 8mm combine with a 5mm? or would it be wiser to just
      combine 2 layers of the same thicknesses?
      thanks!
      mike!
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rollerblaz123"
        > ... during sewing, the
        > fabric also seemed to bunch up and get pulled to the middle a bit,
        we
        > were using a zig-zag stich, with a somewhat wide setting, and
        an '11'
        > singer sewing needle (i think..)

        I had good luck with a straight stitch (about 1.5mm long, and didn't
        get any bunching

        > lets say an 8mm combine with a 5mm? or would it be wiser to just
        > combine 2 layers of the same thicknesses?

        I'd consider the 5mm silk "experimental" as far as the hammock body is
        concerned. For a 2 layer hammock, you might consider something like
        the 8mm (or 10mm) silk for the body, and a thin dwr nylon for the
        outer shell.
      • kbwaddy
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 10, 2006
          i'm confused, are you talking about real silk? is that expensive? and what
          about the 5mm 8mm 10mm, thats not the thickness of the fabric? please
          clarify.
        • rollerblaz123
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 11, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kbwaddy" <kbwaddy@...> wrote:

            > i'm confused, are you talking about real silk? is that expensive? and
            what
            > about the 5mm 8mm 10mm, thats not the thickness of the fabric? please
            > clarify.

            ------------
            hey sorry about my lack of discription... i just get bummed out with
            failed prototypes... yeah i learned about silk from Bill Fornshell over
            at backpackinglight.com. the 5mm 6mm and 10mm are listed as weights,
            and Bill worked out a conversion factor of 1 mm = 3.62 grams. its
            actually pretty cheap... sometimes cheaper then nylon, and feels very
            nice against the skin. im dying some 8mm habotai right now... so we
            will see how it comes out (that white gets dirty fast :( )
            is Bill F a member here?
            mike!

            p.s. www.Thaisilks.com www.dharmatrading.com these are 2 sources i
            use.
          • marta_clark
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
              I haven't tried a silk hammock myself, but I'd be a little concerned
              about sudden failure of the fabric. I've had a number of pairs of
              silk long underwear and other silk clothing and they all develop holes
              at stress points much more quickly than synthetic fabrics do. Silk
              does feel much, much better against the skin, but the consequences of
              fabric failure can be pretty dire with a hammock.

              Marta
            • dlfrost_1
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
                <rollerblaz@...> wrote:
                > yeah i learned about silk from Bill Fornshell over
                > at backpackinglight.com. the 5mm 6mm and 10mm are listed as
                weights,
                > and Bill worked out a conversion factor of 1 mm = 3.62 grams. its
                > actually pretty cheap... sometimes cheaper then nylon, and feels
                very
                > nice against the skin. im dying some 8mm habotai right now... so we
                > will see how it comes out (that white gets dirty fast :( )
                > is Bill F a member here?
                > mike!

                I haven't been watching this thread, but check out this page if it
                hasn't already been mentioned....

                http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/

                Doug Frost
              • Bill in Houston
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
                  I know I'm late, but I wanted to say that I had the same "bunching"
                  experience with a zigzag stitch. Ended up feeding the fabric with both
                  hands to keep it stretched width-wise...

                  Bill in Houston

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rollerblaz123" <rollerblaz@...>
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 13, 2006
                    try a narrower zig zag width to keep from bunching, or try folding the hem an
                    extra time to get it thicker, this may help.

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston" <
                    zippydooda@...> wrote:

                    > I know I'm late, but I wanted to say that I had the same "bunching"
                    > experience with a zigzag stitch. Ended up feeding the fabric with both
                    > hands to keep it stretched width-wise...
                    >
                    > Bill in Houston
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rollerblaz123" <rollerblaz@>
                    > wrote:
                    > > during sewing, the
                    > > fabric also seemed to bunch up and get pulled to the middle a bit, we
                    > > were using a zig-zag stich, with a somewhat wide setting, >

                  • tanpuma
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 14, 2006
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark" <marta_clark@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I haven't tried a silk hammock myself, but I'd be a little concerned
                      > about sudden failure of the fabric.
                      Sorry to drop in here out of the Blue:
                      I am an artist that works with some textiles, one of the big factors
                      with certain fabrics is washing it in the wrong soap, or in heavily
                      chlorinated water. A silk hammock , or even heavy jeans can be eaten
                      by chlorine. Probably a hammock needs less washing than clothing.
                      ALso the weave and quality of the fabric can cause failure.
                      I would stick with fabric other people have used from a known
                      supplier using the same weave. Hang low and keep critters away.
                      Liam