Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock sleeping pad

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6 4:28 AM
      i love the inflatables w/ insulation, like the BA insulated air core & the expead down air mat (DAM). i sleep every night in a hammock in my BR w/ the BA. that type mattress (only partly inflated) supports every contor of the body, making my hammock an even more wonderful place to lay, no matter if i`m home or on the trail. my only concern is that several people (including myself) have had problems w/ slow leaks. BA replaced my slow-leak pad w/ a new one last fall. the new one has done fine untill the last couple weeks. it`s got another slow leak. i haven`t taken the time yet to put it into the tub w/ water to see where the leak is. i hope it`s in a place i can sucessfuly patch & not on a seam. bottom line is that the inflatables are luxurious to sleep on, but if they where to develope a leak that would leave you flat before morning, you wouldn`t have insulation underneath. of course most of the leaks i`ve expereanced or heard of where slow leaks that wern`t of any real
      problem for getting through one nights sleep. i`m sure others here will add thier expereance. ...tim PS...i love mine so much that i`m concidering carying a trimed down CCF pad to go under it as insureance.

      archidaveture <archidaveture@...> wrote: What is the general opinion on sleeping pads (type)? I will be hiking
      the AT from WV to Main starting in May. I am considering a Big Agnes
      pad 2.5 inch version, only because I want a thick pad ...IF... I can't
      find a spot to hang my hammock and have to sleep on the ground. Is
      that a possibility on parts of the AT north from WV?
      Inflatable vs. foam type?? Also, weight is always a concern. I have
      never needed a sleeping pad (live in South Florida) some advise
      REQUIRED………..comfort………weight………no BS………..

      Thanks

      tim garner

    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8 1:33 PM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"
        <archidaveture@...> wrote:

        > What is the general opinion on sleeping pads (type)? I will be hiking
        > the AT from WV to Main starting in May. I am considering a Big Agnes
        > pad 2.5 inch version, only because I want a thick pad ...IF... I can't
        > find a spot to hang my hammock and have to sleep on the ground. Is
        > that a possibility on parts of the AT north from WV?
        > Inflatable vs. foam type?? Also, weight is always a concern. I have
        > never needed a sleeping pad (live in South Florida) some advise
        > REQUIRED………..comfort………weight………no BS………..

        I use a BA Insulated Air Core for a number of reasons:
        1) I already have one.
        2) It is rated to 15°F, and I have successfully taken it down to the
        low 20°s - in a hammock - with no wind.
        3) It makes the ground bearable for my aging bones and arthritis when I
        need to go to ground.
        4) It weighs under a pound (72" Mummy version).
        5) Its 70 dernier fabric is plenty sturdy for the way I treat my gear.

        Downside - I can't readily use it as a frame for frameless packs.

        Fuzzy
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8 3:35 PM
          I use a BA Insulated Air Core for the same reasons as Fuzzy. And I
          use it with a BA Zirkel, the pad sleeve keeps it from ever getting
          out from under me! Folded over 3x it works as back padding in the
          sleeve of my GVP 4 pack, and barrel shaped and slightly inflated it
          made a good frame for my Golite Gust pack.

          Steve

          > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for a number of reasons:
          > 1) I already have one.
          > 2) It is rated to 15°F, and I have successfully taken it down to
          the
          > low 20°s - in a hammock - with no wind.
          > 3) It makes the ground bearable for my aging bones and arthritis
          when I
          > need to go to ground.
          > 4) It weighs under a pound (72" Mummy version).
          > 5) Its 70 dernier fabric is plenty sturdy for the way I treat my
          gear.

          > Downside - I can't readily use it as a frame for frameless packs.
          >
          > Fuzzy

        • Fuzzy
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 8 5:51 PM
            Hmmm... maybe I *will* apply for that new pack test.

            Fuzzy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@...> wrote:

            > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for the same reasons as Fuzzy. And I
            > use it with a BA Zirkel, the pad sleeve keeps it from ever getting
            > out from under me! Folded over 3x it works as back padding in the
            > sleeve of my GVP 4 pack, and barrel shaped and slightly inflated it
            > made a good frame for my Golite Gust pack.
            >
            > Steve
            >
            > > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for a number of reasons:
            > > 1) I already have one.
            > > 2) It is rated to 15°F, and I have successfully taken it down to
            > the
            > > low 20°s - in a hammock - with no wind.
            > > 3) It makes the ground bearable for my aging bones and arthritis
            > when I
            > > need to go to ground.
            > > 4) It weighs under a pound (72" Mummy version).
            > > 5) Its 70 dernier fabric is plenty sturdy for the way I treat my
            > gear.
            > >
            > > Downside - I can't readily use it as a frame for frameless packs.
            > >
            > > Fuzzy
          • Fuzzy
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 9 6:57 AM
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@...> wrote:

              > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for the same reasons as Fuzzy. And I
              > use it with a BA Zirkel, the pad sleeve keeps it from ever getting
              > out from under me! Folded over 3x it works as back padding in the
              > sleeve of my GVP 4 pack

              Do you mean 3 folds (Half-half-half or 8 thicknesses, ~20x9") or 3
              thicknesses (20x24")?

              Fuzzy
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 9 10:32 AM
                I 1st fold the mat in 3rds lengthwise (10") as I would to roll it to
                fit into the
                stuff sack. Then in 1/2 twice from end to end giving me a 10" x
                20" pad with 9 layers. The GVP 4 pack mesh stretches easily to
                contain
                it.

                Steve

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@...>