Re: Hammock sleeping pad

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2006
      Most any kind of air mattress is nice when you have to go to the
      ground/shelter floor but....your biggest concern with any pad in the
      hammock will be width. The BA Air Core is only 20 inches wide but I
      have heard several say they work well when used with BA bags.
      However, I dont think the same setup would work for me. I have pretty
      broad shoulders and when my shoulders get next to the sides of my
      hammock they get cold. The BA Air Core in a Speere SPE would probably
      work (I would need to bring some strips of CCF for the wings). I
      slept last night using a self inflating pad I just got. it is a
      SlumberJack Family Camper modle (72x25x1.5) = 3 lb 2 oz. Probably a
      little heavier than what your are looking for though. It works great
      for me down to around freezing (havent tried it in really cold weather
      yet) If money is no problem then the DAM from Stevensons would be
      great. Or the slimer Exped DAM using the SPE for the side wings. I
      guess what I'm trying to say is, the pad needs to offer some
      protection for your shoulders in a hammock so keep that in mind as you
      make your decision.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8, 2006
          <archidaveture@...> wrote:

          > What is the general opinion on sleeping pads (type)? I will be hiking
          > the AT from WV to Main starting in May. I am considering a Big Agnes
          > pad 2.5 inch version, only because I want a thick pad ...IF... I can't
          > find a spot to hang my hammock and have to sleep on the ground. Is
          > that a possibility on parts of the AT north from WV?
          > Inflatable vs. foam type?? Also, weight is always a concern. I have
          > never needed a sleeping pad (live in South Florida) some advise
          > REQUIRED………..comfort………weight………no BS………..

          I use a BA Insulated Air Core for a number of reasons:
          1) I already have one.
          2) It is rated to 15°F, and I have successfully taken it down to the
          low 20°s - in a hammock - with no wind.
          3) It makes the ground bearable for my aging bones and arthritis when I
          need to go to ground.
          4) It weighs under a pound (72" Mummy version).
          5) Its 70 dernier fabric is plenty sturdy for the way I treat my gear.

          Downside - I can't readily use it as a frame for frameless packs.

          Fuzzy
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 8, 2006
            I use a BA Insulated Air Core for the same reasons as Fuzzy. And I
            use it with a BA Zirkel, the pad sleeve keeps it from ever getting
            out from under me! Folded over 3x it works as back padding in the
            sleeve of my GVP 4 pack, and barrel shaped and slightly inflated it
            made a good frame for my Golite Gust pack.

            Steve

            > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for a number of reasons:
            > 1) I already have one.
            > 2) It is rated to 15°F, and I have successfully taken it down to
            the
            > low 20°s - in a hammock - with no wind.
            > 3) It makes the ground bearable for my aging bones and arthritis
            when I
            > need to go to ground.
            > 4) It weighs under a pound (72" Mummy version).
            > 5) Its 70 dernier fabric is plenty sturdy for the way I treat my
            gear.

            > Downside - I can't readily use it as a frame for frameless packs.
            >
            > Fuzzy

          • Fuzzy
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 8, 2006
              Hmmm... maybe I *will* apply for that new pack test.

              Fuzzy

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@...> wrote:

              > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for the same reasons as Fuzzy. And I
              > use it with a BA Zirkel, the pad sleeve keeps it from ever getting
              > out from under me! Folded over 3x it works as back padding in the
              > sleeve of my GVP 4 pack, and barrel shaped and slightly inflated it
              > made a good frame for my Golite Gust pack.
              >
              > Steve
              >
              > > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for a number of reasons:
              > > 1) I already have one.
              > > 2) It is rated to 15°F, and I have successfully taken it down to
              > the
              > > low 20°s - in a hammock - with no wind.
              > > 3) It makes the ground bearable for my aging bones and arthritis
              > when I
              > > need to go to ground.
              > > 4) It weighs under a pound (72" Mummy version).
              > > 5) Its 70 dernier fabric is plenty sturdy for the way I treat my
              > gear.
              > >
              > > Downside - I can't readily use it as a frame for frameless packs.
              > >
              > > Fuzzy
            • Fuzzy
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <millergear@...> wrote:

                > I use a BA Insulated Air Core for the same reasons as Fuzzy. And I
                > use it with a BA Zirkel, the pad sleeve keeps it from ever getting
                > out from under me! Folded over 3x it works as back padding in the
                > sleeve of my GVP 4 pack

                Do you mean 3 folds (Half-half-half or 8 thicknesses, ~20x9") or 3
                thicknesses (20x24")?

                Fuzzy
              • Steve
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
                  I 1st fold the mat in 3rds lengthwise (10") as I would to roll it to
                  fit into the
                  stuff sack. Then in 1/2 twice from end to end giving me a 10" x
                  20" pad with 9 layers. The GVP 4 pack mesh stretches easily to
                  contain
                  it.

                  Steve

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@...>