jungle hammock

  • not_so_likely
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3 12:53 PM
      hello,
      i'm looking for advice regarding a jungle hammock.. i'm looking for
      a no frills jungle hammock, that is a hammock with a mosquito net
      rain fly is not neccessary.. however me being scandinavian and not
      putting up with heat very well and wanting the thing for use in
      africa and south america i'm looking for the coolest most ventilated
      thing imaginable.. also i don't want a rain fly (i have all that
      stuff in other equipement).. so far i've used two different hammocks
      in the jungle:

      an old french military issue hammock which had a canvas base and a
      zipper closed mosquito net and a small roof, the roof is a waste of
      space since it's too small to keep you dry during the rainy season..
      and the canvas, well it's heavy and once it gets wet it stays wet
      and gets even heavier.. on the upside is that cutting up a couple of
      spreaders and pulling the hammock tight makes the darn thing
      completely flat, so i cool off nicely since i'm not lying "inside"
      the hammock but rather "on" it.. this also allowes me to sleep even
      on my side or stomach.. also i like the zipper closing of the
      mosquito net, once shut it stays shut.. all in all very comfortable
      but heavy..

      then i've used the new french issue hammock which has a nylon bed
      and a mosquito net attached with velcro.. it's a disaster.. i can't
      get a good nights sleep in it, i have to lie on my back because the
      tissue stretches so that you're banana shaped, the velcro won't stay
      shut, you move slightly and hear rrrrip which means somewhere around
      the circumference the mosquito net is no longer closed.. and the
      worst is probably the non breathability of the bed tissue, at 3 in
      the morning my bottom is 5cm deep in a lake of sweat.. all in all
      very uncomfortable, very unpractical but fairly light.. sort of like
      sleeping in a big bin bag..

      so i guess what i'm looking for is something that you can pull tight
      and sleep flat in, with a reliable mosquito net, as cool and
      ventilating as possible, and as light as possible.. what would be
      your advice on which hammock to buy??

      thanks
    • Paul V.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3 6:57 PM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "not_so_likely"
        <not_so_likely@...> wrote:

        > hello,
        > i'm looking for advice regarding a jungle hammock.. i'm looking for
        > a no frills jungle hammock, that is a hammock with a mosquito net
        > rain fly is not neccessary...

        It is really quite easy to make a hammock:
        Use 3 meters of lightweight ripstop nylon, uncoated
        hem (sew) the ends and sides
        fold the ends together and wrap with polyester webbing, 5m on each end
        get 3m bugscreen fabric
        tie it at both ends of the hammock
        let it hang down over the hammock

        http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultraquarterweight.htm