Re: [Hammock Camping] Day hiking hammock

  • Scott Schroeder
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
      Thanks all for the suggestions.
      I looked around at some 'ready made' hammocks, but it's so straight forward
      I'd like to make my own. I also want muted/blending colors.
      thanks Rick, 1.9oz it is.
      bill mentioned 3/8 or 1/4" webbing. Any thoughts or suggestions on hanging?
      thanks for the help
      Scott

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
        1 inch webbing (polypropyline) or 3/8 inch yellow polypro hollow braid
        rope are my two best suggestions. The best and cheapest webbing is
        available on line.

        This is covered here:

        http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammockkit.htm

        Rick

        Scott Schroeder wrote:
        .
        > bill mentioned 3/8 or 1/4" webbing. Any thoughts or suggestions on hanging?
        > thanks for the help
        > Scott

      • Scott Schroeder
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
          Very good.
          Thanks
          scott

          On 3/3/06, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

          > 1 inch webbing (polypropyline) or 3/8 inch yellow polypro hollow braid
          > rope are my two best suggestions. The best and cheapest webbing is
          > available on line.
          >
          > This is covered here:
          >
          > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammockkit.htm
          >
          > Rick

        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
            I wouldn't cut down too much on the width. With a Speer or
            TestHammock, you can comfortably lounge in it by folding it in half
            like the HH, but it's better because the bugnet and ridgeline don't
            get in the way.

            However, cutting the width would change the way it lounges and might
            prevent you from sleeping comfortably in it if you ever needed to.
            Cutting a 60" width down to 48" will save you ~2 oz. That's about as
            narrow as I'd want to go. YMMV.

            Jeff
          • Scott Schroeder
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
              One more thing.
              I'm 6'3" 200lbs
              If I plan to whip the ends, is 10' of 1.9 a good length?
              Gracias
              Scott

              --
              Scott

            • Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
                > One more thing.
                > I'm 6'3" 200lbs
                > If I plan to whip the ends, is 10' of 1.9 a good length?
                > Gracias

                Yeah. Minimum hammock length is your height + 2 feet. I like my height (5'
                10") + 4 feet, but I'm greedy.

                Shane
              • Scott Schroeder
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
                  Well that was easy.
                  I made one up last night in about half and hour. Granted it's just a simple
                  hammock but it's pretty easy to build.
                  \thanks rick for having pictures of whipping and your knot on your website.
                  That made it rather easy to do.

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
                    Glad it helped.