Re: [Hammock Camping] Day hiking hammock

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
      A simple single layer rectangular hammock - like Ed's book hammock or my
      test hammock (but add hems along the long sides) would be easy and
      light. 1.9 oz ripstop is perfect.

      Risk

      Scott Schroeder wrote:
      > I love taking my hennessy day hiking with me but would like to make a
      > smaller more portable hammock. I like to just rest in the hennessy with it
      > folded over and me laying on the 'outside.'
      > It's fine and all but I'd like something that is simpler and will fold up
      > smaller.
      > What material would be recommended?
      > I was thinking about using webbing instead of cord/tree huggers for
      > simplicity. Any reasons why not?
      > I would think I could minimize width because this is just for
      > lounging/resting/etc.
      > Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
      > It should be rather simple and a nice way to get my feet wet making my own
      > hammock.
      >
      > Thanks in advance
      >
      > --
      > Scott

    • Scott Schroeder
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
        Thanks all for the suggestions.
        I looked around at some 'ready made' hammocks, but it's so straight forward
        I'd like to make my own. I also want muted/blending colors.
        thanks Rick, 1.9oz it is.
        bill mentioned 3/8 or 1/4" webbing. Any thoughts or suggestions on hanging?
        thanks for the help
        Scott

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
          1 inch webbing (polypropyline) or 3/8 inch yellow polypro hollow braid
          rope are my two best suggestions. The best and cheapest webbing is
          available on line.

          This is covered here:

          http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammockkit.htm

          Rick

          Scott Schroeder wrote:
          .
          > bill mentioned 3/8 or 1/4" webbing. Any thoughts or suggestions on hanging?
          > thanks for the help
          > Scott

        • Scott Schroeder
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
            Very good.
            Thanks
            scott

            On 3/3/06, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

            > 1 inch webbing (polypropyline) or 3/8 inch yellow polypro hollow braid
            > rope are my two best suggestions. The best and cheapest webbing is
            > available on line.
            >
            > This is covered here:
            >
            > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammockkit.htm
            >
            > Rick

          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
              I wouldn't cut down too much on the width. With a Speer or
              TestHammock, you can comfortably lounge in it by folding it in half
              like the HH, but it's better because the bugnet and ridgeline don't
              get in the way.

              However, cutting the width would change the way it lounges and might
              prevent you from sleeping comfortably in it if you ever needed to.
              Cutting a 60" width down to 48" will save you ~2 oz. That's about as
              narrow as I'd want to go. YMMV.

              Jeff
            • Scott Schroeder
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
                One more thing.
                I'm 6'3" 200lbs
                If I plan to whip the ends, is 10' of 1.9 a good length?
                Gracias
                Scott

                --
                Scott

              • Shane Steinkamp
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
                  > One more thing.
                  > I'm 6'3" 200lbs
                  > If I plan to whip the ends, is 10' of 1.9 a good length?
                  > Gracias

                  Yeah. Minimum hammock length is your height + 2 feet. I like my height (5'
                  10") + 4 feet, but I'm greedy.

                  Shane
                • Scott Schroeder
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
                    Well that was easy.
                    I made one up last night in about half and hour. Granted it's just a simple
                    hammock but it's pretty easy to build.
                    \thanks rick for having pictures of whipping and your knot on your website.
                    That made it rather easy to do.

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
                      Glad it helped.