Re: Day hiking hammock

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
      Seems like most anything would do. I would use about 3 yards of $1
      wallyworld material, since it's just for short rests. Gather the ends
      and connect some rope with a double sheet bend. For the rope, use 3/8
      or maybe 1/4 inch polypropylene (flattens against the tree, making it a
      lot like webbing) about 10 feet long. Just my opinion...

      Or buy something simple...

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Schroeder"
      <schrochem@...> wrote:

      > I love taking my hennessy day hiking with me but would like to make a
      > smaller more portable hammock.
    • danefliedner
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
        I take the $20 Amazonia hammock out on day trips, use thin webbing for
        my tree huggers/attachment line. Works great, confortable for short
        periods (ie not sure I could sleep overnight in it, although some do,
        I've heard) Cheap, light and ready made!
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
          A simple single layer rectangular hammock - like Ed's book hammock or my
          test hammock (but add hems along the long sides) would be easy and
          light. 1.9 oz ripstop is perfect.

          Risk

          Scott Schroeder wrote:
          > I love taking my hennessy day hiking with me but would like to make a
          > smaller more portable hammock. I like to just rest in the hennessy with it
          > folded over and me laying on the 'outside.'
          > It's fine and all but I'd like something that is simpler and will fold up
          > smaller.
          > What material would be recommended?
          > I was thinking about using webbing instead of cord/tree huggers for
          > simplicity. Any reasons why not?
          > I would think I could minimize width because this is just for
          > lounging/resting/etc.
          > Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
          > It should be rather simple and a nice way to get my feet wet making my own
          > hammock.
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          >
          > --
          > Scott

        • Scott Schroeder
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
            Thanks all for the suggestions.
            I looked around at some 'ready made' hammocks, but it's so straight forward
            I'd like to make my own. I also want muted/blending colors.
            thanks Rick, 1.9oz it is.
            bill mentioned 3/8 or 1/4" webbing. Any thoughts or suggestions on hanging?
            thanks for the help
            Scott

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
              1 inch webbing (polypropyline) or 3/8 inch yellow polypro hollow braid
              rope are my two best suggestions. The best and cheapest webbing is
              available on line.

              This is covered here:

              http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammockkit.htm

              Rick

              Scott Schroeder wrote:
              .
              > bill mentioned 3/8 or 1/4" webbing. Any thoughts or suggestions on hanging?
              > thanks for the help
              > Scott

            • Scott Schroeder
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
                Very good.
                Thanks
                scott

                On 3/3/06, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

                > 1 inch webbing (polypropyline) or 3/8 inch yellow polypro hollow braid
                > rope are my two best suggestions. The best and cheapest webbing is
                > available on line.
                >
                > This is covered here:
                >
                > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammockkit.htm
                >
                > Rick

              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
                  I wouldn't cut down too much on the width. With a Speer or
                  TestHammock, you can comfortably lounge in it by folding it in half
                  like the HH, but it's better because the bugnet and ridgeline don't
                  get in the way.

                  However, cutting the width would change the way it lounges and might
                  prevent you from sleeping comfortably in it if you ever needed to.
                  Cutting a 60" width down to 48" will save you ~2 oz. That's about as
                  narrow as I'd want to go. YMMV.

                  Jeff
                • Scott Schroeder
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
                    One more thing.
                    I'm 6'3" 200lbs
                    If I plan to whip the ends, is 10' of 1.9 a good length?
                    Gracias
                    Scott

                    --
                    Scott

                  • Shane Steinkamp
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
                      > One more thing.
                      > I'm 6'3" 200lbs
                      > If I plan to whip the ends, is 10' of 1.9 a good length?
                      > Gracias

                      Yeah. Minimum hammock length is your height + 2 feet. I like my height (5'
                      10") + 4 feet, but I'm greedy.

                      Shane
                    • Scott Schroeder
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
                        Well that was easy.
                        I made one up last night in about half and hour. Granted it's just a simple
                        hammock but it's pretty easy to build.
                        \thanks rick for having pictures of whipping and your knot on your website.
                        That made it rather easy to do.

                        Scott

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
                          Glad it helped.