Day hiking hammock

  • Scott Schroeder
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
      I love taking my hennessy day hiking with me but would like to make a
      smaller more portable hammock. I like to just rest in the hennessy with it
      folded over and me laying on the 'outside.'
      It's fine and all but I'd like something that is simpler and will fold up
      smaller.
      What material would be recommended?
      I was thinking about using webbing instead of cord/tree huggers for
      simplicity. Any reasons why not?
      I would think I could minimize width because this is just for
      lounging/resting/etc.
      Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
      It should be rather simple and a nice way to get my feet wet making my own
      hammock.

      Thanks in advance

      --
      Scott

    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
        Seems like most anything would do. I would use about 3 yards of $1
        wallyworld material, since it's just for short rests. Gather the ends
        and connect some rope with a double sheet bend. For the rope, use 3/8
        or maybe 1/4 inch polypropylene (flattens against the tree, making it a
        lot like webbing) about 10 feet long. Just my opinion...

        Or buy something simple...

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Schroeder"
        <schrochem@...> wrote:

        > I love taking my hennessy day hiking with me but would like to make a
        > smaller more portable hammock.
      • danefliedner
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
          I take the $20 Amazonia hammock out on day trips, use thin webbing for
          my tree huggers/attachment line. Works great, confortable for short
          periods (ie not sure I could sleep overnight in it, although some do,
          I've heard) Cheap, light and ready made!
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
            A simple single layer rectangular hammock - like Ed's book hammock or my
            test hammock (but add hems along the long sides) would be easy and
            light. 1.9 oz ripstop is perfect.

            Risk

            Scott Schroeder wrote:
            > I love taking my hennessy day hiking with me but would like to make a
            > smaller more portable hammock. I like to just rest in the hennessy with it
            > folded over and me laying on the 'outside.'
            > It's fine and all but I'd like something that is simpler and will fold up
            > smaller.
            > What material would be recommended?
            > I was thinking about using webbing instead of cord/tree huggers for
            > simplicity. Any reasons why not?
            > I would think I could minimize width because this is just for
            > lounging/resting/etc.
            > Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
            > It should be rather simple and a nice way to get my feet wet making my own
            > hammock.
            >
            > Thanks in advance
            >
            > --
            > Scott

          • Scott Schroeder
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
              Thanks all for the suggestions.
              I looked around at some 'ready made' hammocks, but it's so straight forward
              I'd like to make my own. I also want muted/blending colors.
              thanks Rick, 1.9oz it is.
              bill mentioned 3/8 or 1/4" webbing. Any thoughts or suggestions on hanging?
              thanks for the help
              Scott

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
                1 inch webbing (polypropyline) or 3/8 inch yellow polypro hollow braid
                rope are my two best suggestions. The best and cheapest webbing is
                available on line.

                This is covered here:

                http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammockkit.htm

                Rick

                Scott Schroeder wrote:
                .
                > bill mentioned 3/8 or 1/4" webbing. Any thoughts or suggestions on hanging?
                > thanks for the help
                > Scott

              • Scott Schroeder
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
                  Very good.
                  Thanks
                  scott

                  On 3/3/06, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

                  > 1 inch webbing (polypropyline) or 3/8 inch yellow polypro hollow braid
                  > rope are my two best suggestions. The best and cheapest webbing is
                  > available on line.
                  >
                  > This is covered here:
                  >
                  > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammockkit.htm
                  >
                  > Rick

                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
                    I wouldn't cut down too much on the width. With a Speer or
                    TestHammock, you can comfortably lounge in it by folding it in half
                    like the HH, but it's better because the bugnet and ridgeline don't
                    get in the way.

                    However, cutting the width would change the way it lounges and might
                    prevent you from sleeping comfortably in it if you ever needed to.
                    Cutting a 60" width down to 48" will save you ~2 oz. That's about as
                    narrow as I'd want to go. YMMV.

                    Jeff
                  • Scott Schroeder
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
                      One more thing.
                      I'm 6'3" 200lbs
                      If I plan to whip the ends, is 10' of 1.9 a good length?
                      Gracias
                      Scott

                      --
                      Scott

                    • Shane Steinkamp
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
                        > One more thing.
                        > I'm 6'3" 200lbs
                        > If I plan to whip the ends, is 10' of 1.9 a good length?
                        > Gracias

                        Yeah. Minimum hammock length is your height + 2 feet. I like my height (5'
                        10") + 4 feet, but I'm greedy.

                        Shane
                      • Scott Schroeder
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
                          Well that was easy.
                          I made one up last night in about half and hour. Granted it's just a simple
                          hammock but it's pretty easy to build.
                          \thanks rick for having pictures of whipping and your knot on your website.
                          That made it rather easy to do.

                          Scott

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 9, 2006
                            Glad it helped.