Re: [Hammock Camping] Too quiet on the list, so here's a question...

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2006
      Hi Michael,
      I have a couple of packs on my website, the JJ and F2 packs. The F2 is
      a moderately modified G4 pack - and the plans for that are on the web.

      Either can be built with the same material used for the hammock, though
      I think that a better material is silnylon that is used for the tarp.

      I think that when I build my next pack, it will be a G4 version much
      like the F2, except that the bottom part of the pack will not flare out.

      Risk

      Michael Carter wrote:
      > Since a lot of you folks make your own gear, here's a question. I want
      > to make a UL pack to go with my hammock and other homemade gear. My
      > hammock is down to 20 ounces now with fly and I'm planning on a total
      > pack weight of about 10-12 pounds, so I want the pack to be a pound or
      > less.
      >
      > Any patterns out there that you have made and would recommend?
      >
      > I would like to use the same materials I use for the hammocks, since I
      > have a bunch on hand - silnylon, and ripstop nylon. I like to run the
      > trails, so something that can snug up against my back would be ideal.
      > Using a closed cell foam pad for a frame would be OK too, since I carry
      > a short one with me during warm weather.
      >
      > Recommendations?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Michael
    • Paul V.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Carter" <carterm@...>
        wrote:

        > Since a lot of you folks make your own gear, here's a question. I want
        > to make a UL pack to go with my hammock and other homemade gear. My
        > hammock is down to 20 ounces now with fly and I'm planning on a total
        > pack weight of about 10-12 pounds, so I want the pack to be a pound or
        > less.

        I made a pack last weekend. It has not been tested but I like it so far.

        http://www.cruisenews.net/backpacking/Backpack.html
      • marta_clark
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2006
          I'm about halfway through making a Ray-Way pack. It's quite a bit
          more work than making a hammock or a quilt...and I stopped working on
          it when I realized it is going to be almost exactly the same size as
          another pack I already have. But now that I've finished all the other
          projects for which I have materials on hand, finishing the pack is
          next on the docket.

          Marta