Too quiet on the list, so here's a question...

  • Michael Carter
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 10:49 AM
      Since a lot of you folks make your own gear, here's a question. I want
      to make a UL pack to go with my hammock and other homemade gear. My
      hammock is down to 20 ounces now with fly and I'm planning on a total
      pack weight of about 10-12 pounds, so I want the pack to be a pound or
      less.

      Any patterns out there that you have made and would recommend?

      I would like to use the same materials I use for the hammocks, since I
      have a bunch on hand - silnylon, and ripstop nylon. I like to run the
      trails, so something that can snug up against my back would be ideal.
      Using a closed cell foam pad for a frame would be OK too, since I carry
      a short one with me during warm weather.

      Recommendations?

      Thanks,

      Michael
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 11:08 AM
        Hi Michael,
        I have a couple of packs on my website, the JJ and F2 packs. The F2 is
        a moderately modified G4 pack - and the plans for that are on the web.

        Either can be built with the same material used for the hammock, though
        I think that a better material is silnylon that is used for the tarp.

        I think that when I build my next pack, it will be a G4 version much
        like the F2, except that the bottom part of the pack will not flare out.

        Risk

        Michael Carter wrote:
        > Since a lot of you folks make your own gear, here's a question. I want
        > to make a UL pack to go with my hammock and other homemade gear. My
        > hammock is down to 20 ounces now with fly and I'm planning on a total
        > pack weight of about 10-12 pounds, so I want the pack to be a pound or
        > less.
        >
        > Any patterns out there that you have made and would recommend?
        >
        > I would like to use the same materials I use for the hammocks, since I
        > have a bunch on hand - silnylon, and ripstop nylon. I like to run the
        > trails, so something that can snug up against my back would be ideal.
        > Using a closed cell foam pad for a frame would be OK too, since I carry
        > a short one with me during warm weather.
        >
        > Recommendations?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Michael
      • Paul V.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2 1:57 PM
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Carter" <carterm@...>
          wrote:

          > Since a lot of you folks make your own gear, here's a question. I want
          > to make a UL pack to go with my hammock and other homemade gear. My
          > hammock is down to 20 ounces now with fly and I'm planning on a total
          > pack weight of about 10-12 pounds, so I want the pack to be a pound or
          > less.

          I made a pack last weekend. It has not been tested but I like it so far.

          http://www.cruisenews.net/backpacking/Backpack.html
        • marta_clark
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2 4:00 PM
            I'm about halfway through making a Ray-Way pack. It's quite a bit
            more work than making a hammock or a quilt...and I stopped working on
            it when I realized it is going to be almost exactly the same size as
            another pack I already have. But now that I've finished all the other
            projects for which I have materials on hand, finishing the pack is
            next on the docket.

            Marta