Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Very tall old guy

  • karens62@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
      Ed's off for the day but I'll chime in here. If you are planning on making your own, allow 2 feet of finished length over your height for maximum comfort.

      Karen

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
        Keith-

        You are not THAT old for this group.

        "Any recommends out there? Comments? Rants?"

        Hon-ey! You have come to the right place for any of the above. My personal favorite is the Hennessy line. I would recommend a Hennessy Explorer with stronger than the usual stock ropes. Ask and you should be able to get one made up that way.

        If you want another style hammock, a lot of the people here prefer Ed Speer's (Owner of the group) hammocks. He sell both kits and ready made. Read Ed's book for lots of good info. Also look at Risk's site.

        I'm sure you will hear more from other hammockers.

        Good Luck!

        Rosaleen

        From: "tory1942" <tory1942@...<mailto:tory1942@...>>
        Subject: Very tall old guy

        I'm male, 6' 7" tall, about 285#, 63 years, retired. I'd thought to
        get a hammock rig for use with my newish Suzuki Burgman, in case I get
        stuck out some nights (don't see that well in the dark any more). I
        came across all these references, and this group, so decided to ask
        some opinions.

        All of this is new to me ... never before considered a hammock ...
        since I broke several, in friends back yards, with my size and weight.

        Now, I'm a guy with plenty of scars on his head, from banging into
        doorways and such, and I KNOW the compromises I gotta make with the
        world ... but it sure would be nice not to have to bother with a tent,
        groundcloth, sleeping bag, etc, and still sleep comfortable.