Re: Very tall old guy

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
      Make your own hammock, plenty long, and use a nice big tarp. You will
      want to hang it high to give you more room to maneuver, and hanging it
      higher means it needs to be a little bigger to protect from wind-blown
      rain. A Speer hammock would be great or you can build a test hammock
      from imrisk.com to just try things out.

      Welcome to the group, and I wish you success.

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tory1942" <tory1942@...> wrote:

      > I'm male, 6' 7" tall, about 285#, 63 years, retired. > Any
      recommends out there? Comments? Rants?

    • karens62@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
        Ed's off for the day but I'll chime in here. If you are planning on making your own, allow 2 feet of finished length over your height for maximum comfort.

        Karen

        Make your own hammock, plenty long, and use a nice big tarp. You will
        want to hang it high to give you more room to maneuver, and hanging it
        higher means it needs to be a little bigger to protect from wind-blown
        rain. A Speer hammock would be great or you can build a test hammock
        from imrisk.com to just try things out.

        Welcome to the group, and I wish you success.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tory1942" <tory1942@...> wrote:

        > I'm male, 6' 7" tall, about 285#, 63 years, retired. > Any
        recommends out there? Comments? Rants?

        > Keith Young

      • Rosaleen Sullivan
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
          Keith-

          You are not THAT old for this group.

          "Any recommends out there? Comments? Rants?"

          Hon-ey! You have come to the right place for any of the above. My personal favorite is the Hennessy line. I would recommend a Hennessy Explorer with stronger than the usual stock ropes. Ask and you should be able to get one made up that way.

          If you want another style hammock, a lot of the people here prefer Ed Speer's (Owner of the group) hammocks. He sell both kits and ready made. Read Ed's book for lots of good info. Also look at Risk's site.

          I'm sure you will hear more from other hammockers.

          Good Luck!

          Rosaleen

          From: "tory1942" <tory1942@...<mailto:tory1942@...>>
          Subject: Very tall old guy

          I'm male, 6' 7" tall, about 285#, 63 years, retired. I'd thought to
          get a hammock rig for use with my newish Suzuki Burgman, in case I get
          stuck out some nights (don't see that well in the dark any more). I
          came across all these references, and this group, so decided to ask
          some opinions.

          All of this is new to me ... never before considered a hammock ...
          since I broke several, in friends back yards, with my size and weight.

          Now, I'm a guy with plenty of scars on his head, from banging into
          doorways and such, and I KNOW the compromises I gotta make with the
          world ... but it sure would be nice not to have to bother with a tent,
          groundcloth, sleeping bag, etc, and still sleep comfortable.