Very tall old guy

  • tory1942
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2006
      I'm male, 6' 7" tall, about 285#, 63 years, retired. I'd thought to
      get a hammock rig for use with my newish Suzuki Burgman, in case I get
      stuck out some nights (don't see that well in the dark any more). I
      came across all these references, and this group, so decided to ask
      some opinions.

      All of this is new to me ... never before considered a hammock ...
      since I broke several, in friends back yards, with my size and weight.

      Now, I'm a guy with plenty of scars on his head, from banging into
      doorways and such, and I KNOW the compromises I gotta make with the
      world ... but it sure would be nice not to have to bother with a tent,
      groundcloth, sleeping bag, etc, and still sleep comfortable.

      Any recommends out there? Comments? Rants?

      Keith Young
    • sebastiantoney
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
        Make your own. Just buy Ed's book and make your own. On the website
        his hammocks can stand up to 350lbs. as for your hieght just buy the
        materials in the length you need, sew it up, and go camping.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tory1942" <tory1942@...> wrote:

        > I'm male, 6' 7" tall, about 285#, 63 years, retired. I'd thought to
        > get a hammock rig for use with my newish Suzuki Burgman, in case I get
        > stuck out some nights (don't see that well in the dark any more). I
        > came across all these references, and this group, so decided to ask
        > some opinions.
        >
        > All of this is new to me ... never before considered a hammock ...
        > since I broke several, in friends back yards, with my size and weight.
        >
        > Now, I'm a guy with plenty of scars on his head, from banging into
        > doorways and such, and I KNOW the compromises I gotta make with the
        > world ... but it sure would be nice not to have to bother with a tent,
        > groundcloth, sleeping bag, etc, and still sleep comfortable.
        >
        > Any recommends out there? Comments? Rants?
        >
        > Keith Young

      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
          Make your own hammock, plenty long, and use a nice big tarp. You will
          want to hang it high to give you more room to maneuver, and hanging it
          higher means it needs to be a little bigger to protect from wind-blown
          rain. A Speer hammock would be great or you can build a test hammock
          from imrisk.com to just try things out.

          Welcome to the group, and I wish you success.

          Bill in Houston

        • karens62@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
            Ed's off for the day but I'll chime in here. If you are planning on making your own, allow 2 feet of finished length over your height for maximum comfort.

            Karen

            Make your own hammock, plenty long, and use a nice big tarp. You will
            want to hang it high to give you more room to maneuver, and hanging it
            higher means it needs to be a little bigger to protect from wind-blown
            rain. A Speer hammock would be great or you can build a test hammock
            from imrisk.com to just try things out.

            Welcome to the group, and I wish you success.

            Bill in Houston

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tory1942" <tory1942@...> wrote:

            > I'm male, 6' 7" tall, about 285#, 63 years, retired. > Any
            recommends out there? Comments? Rants?

            > Keith Young

          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
              Keith-

              You are not THAT old for this group.

              "Any recommends out there? Comments? Rants?"

              Hon-ey! You have come to the right place for any of the above. My personal favorite is the Hennessy line. I would recommend a Hennessy Explorer with stronger than the usual stock ropes. Ask and you should be able to get one made up that way.

              If you want another style hammock, a lot of the people here prefer Ed Speer's (Owner of the group) hammocks. He sell both kits and ready made. Read Ed's book for lots of good info. Also look at Risk's site.

              I'm sure you will hear more from other hammockers.

              Good Luck!

              Rosaleen