Re: Hammock camping experiments

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2006
      Welcome back to the site Paul.

      Hammock camping can work very well for the 30F to 50F temperature
      range. There are a multiple of schemes that folks have sucessfully
      used for bottom side insulation for their hammocks in that range of
      temperatures and I'm sure many of the folks here will share their
      experiences, thoughts and favorites with you. I doubt that there is
      an agreement on one scheme that is best for all possible conditions
      as the conditions can greatly vary with almost an infinately varied
      combination of wind, water, temperature and humidity. Most any
      scheme has conditions where it perform best and conditions where it
      performance may be marginal or not as desired as another scheme might
      be. For instance, when it is windy you might want something to keep
      the wind off of you, while when it is dead air you might want nothing
      to impede airflow. I have slept using a number of different
      underside insulations or combinations without problems over those
      temperature ranges-- closed cell foam pads, self inflating pads, down
      air mats, down insulation on the outside, etc. My feeling is that
      regardless of the scheme you chose to use if you understand how to
      use what you have-- appreciate and respect what it does well and what
      it doesn't do well, then you will likely do fine with it.

      There are certainly issues regarding overheating, sweat, wicking
      materials, breathable insulation and non-breathable insulation that
      one should understand just as one should understand issues regarding
      wind, evaporative cooling, wind blocking insulation, non-wind
      blocking insulation. Often what is the best solution for
      condensation issues in still air contradicts what is the best
      solution for staying warm in windy conditions so we usually just have
      to work out 'our best compromise' in selecting insulation schemes and
      deal with what comes along. Don't forget to be adaptable with what
      you select to use, just as you are adaptable with the clothing that
      you wear as you add or remove or zip-up or vent as conditions
      dictate. As the temperatures drop, mistakes are less forgiving and
      your most valuable asset is often the knowledge that you carry with
      you.

      I do like your site, thanks for sharing.

      Dave

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Paul V." <cruisenewsnet@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello - I haven't posted here for a while but I have been doing some
      > hammock experiments, and am trying to work out a cool weather
      > (30F-50F) hammocking system.
      >
      > Based on a couple of overnights, I'm at the point of thinking that
      > closed cell pads are not the way to go in cool weather due to
      > condensation issues, and I'm hoping that the underquilt that I
      ordered
      > will improve things a bit. I am also working on a Risk pod to use
      as
      > a windbreaker.
      >
      > I really like the clothing combination:
      >
      > (windbreaker - fleece - wicking undershirt)
      >
      > and I'm trying to imagine a similar combination for a hammock:
      >
      > (windbreaker pod - down or synthetic underquilt/topquilt - polypro
      > longjohns)
      >
      > The goal here is comfort and I think this combination offers the
      best
      > way of getting a lightweight comfortable cool weather system.
      >
      > I have been putting some thoughts and campout notes on a webpage,
      > mainly so I can escape to the woods when sitting at my work desk
      > cubical. I'm ready to go out and try again, but I'm patiently
      > waiting on my underquilt.
      >
      > skylark
      > http://cruisenews.net/backpacking

    • Steve Joiner
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
        Coy, from one Alabama boy to another - I appreciate the 'glass of tea'
        analogy! ;^)

        Makes me think of having a cold glass of sweetened iced tea on the front
        porch at my grandma's - sittin' in the glider, swattin' at flies..

        Steve

        _____