Re: Just Tested Risk's Test Hammock

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 24, 2006
      My local Wal-Mart superstore--which has never so far had any silnylon
      or other useful bargain fabrics--does carry the polypro webbing (in
      the fabric section, wound on a large spool), though it is more
      expensive than from the mailorder house I bought fabric for my most
      recent hammock project from.

      Marta

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@...>

    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 25, 2006
        I sat down slowly adding weight to the
        > thing. Snap! It broke. It was the el cheapo cotton straps. I'll have
        > to order some 1.5 inch poly stuff later.

        Don't feel bad, I broke a strap a few weeks ago and the drop knocked
        the wind out of me and scared the heck out of my dog. At least you
        were smart enough to hang your hammock low to test it.

        Brian
        T-BACK
      • hana_hanger
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
          I have those Tree Huggers so I did not need the extra polypropylene
          webbings. So I tried hooking it directly to the hammock just in front
          of the knot with large S hooks that came with the Tree Huggers
          designed for heavy loads.

          It took a few trys to get the material inside the s hook but it works
          great. In the pictures one side is attached to a simple rope with
          large hook...,I have out there all the time but the other side is
          attached to the tree huggers. You may want to try that if you cannot
          get the webbing soon enough.

          We tested it with 160 lbs and up to 260 lbs with no problems. The knot
          held and I know the S hooks are rated to 400 lbs.

          I love the two we made and under 10 minutes to make and soooo comfy.
          Thanks to Ed Speers and Risk for the idea of the Test Hammock :)