Re: Just Tested Risk's Test Hammock

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 23, 2006
      Or check climbing shops. You don't need the strength of the flat
      tubular kind, but it'll work if that's all they have. Plus, it's
      multi-use as a climbing harness if you know how to tie one!

      Hrm...or go to a junkyard and cut the seatbelts out of a car. We used
      to use those as climbing harnesses (yes, I was a redneck).

      Or get the yellow poly-braid rope that Youngblood uses. It's common
      enough that many hardware stores, and probably some Walmarts, should
      carry it. Just look for a working load around 600 lbs.

      And don't feel bad about breaking a support. I broke some cheap rope
      once, and some 550 cord another time. Only one of them hurt...of
      course, I didn't fall on my bum in a public park, either! :p

      Now I use Spectra from a kitesurfing shop or polypro straps from Ed's
      website ( www.speerhammocks.com ).
    • rexhardy2003
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 24, 2006
        You may want to check back at your local Wal-Mart. Ours has the 1"
        poly strap in the fabric section. It was reasonable priced and thus
        far has held my 200lbs. Worth a shot anyway.

        Rex

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
        wrote:

        > I bought some fabric from the Cheap-Mart $1.00 bin. But I couldn't
        > find any polypropylene webbings. I went to another fabric shop and
        all
        > I could find were 1 inch cotton straps.
        >
        > I put the test hammock together in a few minutes and went down to
        the
        > park to test it out. I hung it low to the ground so if it broke I
        > wouldn't break my tail bone. I sat down slowly adding weight to the
        > thing. Snap! It broke. It was the el cheapo cotton straps. I'll have
        > to order some 1.5 inch poly stuff later.
        >
        > But I put about 3/4 of my weight into the hammock before the
        strapping
        > snapped. I liked the way it felt I wish it would have held my
        weight
        > because the sun was doing down right there along the river. It would
        > have been a nice way to spend the dusk.
        >
        > Any I'm sold. I'm probably buy some poly webbing to fully test it,
        > 'cause you can't beat nine bucks for a hammock.

      • marta_clark
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 24, 2006
          My local Wal-Mart superstore--which has never so far had any silnylon
          or other useful bargain fabrics--does carry the polypro webbing (in
          the fabric section, wound on a large spool), though it is more
          expensive than from the mailorder house I bought fabric for my most
          recent hammock project from.

          Marta

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@...>

        • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 25, 2006
            I sat down slowly adding weight to the
            > thing. Snap! It broke. It was the el cheapo cotton straps. I'll have
            > to order some 1.5 inch poly stuff later.

            Don't feel bad, I broke a strap a few weeks ago and the drop knocked
            the wind out of me and scared the heck out of my dog. At least you
            were smart enough to hang your hammock low to test it.

            Brian
            T-BACK
          • hana_hanger
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
              I have those Tree Huggers so I did not need the extra polypropylene
              webbings. So I tried hooking it directly to the hammock just in front
              of the knot with large S hooks that came with the Tree Huggers
              designed for heavy loads.

              It took a few trys to get the material inside the s hook but it works
              great. In the pictures one side is attached to a simple rope with
              large hook...,I have out there all the time but the other side is
              attached to the tree huggers. You may want to try that if you cannot
              get the webbing soon enough.

              We tested it with 160 lbs and up to 260 lbs with no problems. The knot
              held and I know the S hooks are rated to 400 lbs.

              I love the two we made and under 10 minutes to make and soooo comfy.
              Thanks to Ed Speers and Risk for the idea of the Test Hammock :)