Just Tested Risk's Test Hammock

  • sebastiantoney
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 23, 2006
      I bought some fabric from the Cheap-Mart $1.00 bin. But I couldn't
      find any polypropylene webbings. I went to another fabric shop and all
      I could find were 1 inch cotton straps.

      I put the test hammock together in a few minutes and went down to the
      park to test it out. I hung it low to the ground so if it broke I
      wouldn't break my tail bone. I sat down slowly adding weight to the
      thing. Snap! It broke. It was the el cheapo cotton straps. I'll have
      to order some 1.5 inch poly stuff later.

      But I put about 3/4 of my weight into the hammock before the strapping
      snapped. I liked the way it felt I wish it would have held my weight
      because the sun was doing down right there along the river. It would
      have been a nice way to spend the dusk.

      Any I'm sold. I'm probably buy some poly webbing to fully test it,
      'cause you can't beat nine bucks for a hammock.
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 23, 2006
        Try motorcycle tie down straps. Or tow ropes.

        They are locally available and have other uses to. I wouldn't use the Cam
        locks just the strap

        Ralph

        On 2/23/06, sebastiantoney <funbun2@...> wrote:

        > I bought some fabric from the Cheap-Mart $1.00 bin. But I couldn't
        > find any polypropylene webbings. I went to another fabric shop and all
        > I could find were 1 inch cotton straps.
        >
        > I put the test hammock together in a few minutes and went down to the
        > park to test it out. I hung it low to the ground so if it broke I
        > wouldn't break my tail bone. I sat down slowly adding weight to the
        > thing. Snap! It broke. It was the el cheapo cotton straps. I'll have
        > to order some 1.5 inch poly stuff later.
        >
        > But I put about 3/4 of my weight into the hammock before the strapping
        > snapped. I liked the way it felt I wish it would have held my weight
        > because the sun was doing down right there along the river. It would
        > have been a nice way to spend the dusk.
        >
        > Any I'm sold. I'm probably buy some poly webbing to fully test it,
        > 'cause you can't beat nine bucks for a hammock.

      • seuss910
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 23, 2006
          Fabric shops likely won't have the webbing you want. Think of webbing
          not so much as thick and narrow fabric but as wide and flat rope and
          look for it where you'd buy rope. I eventually found a reasonably
          priced supply at a local hardware store. Not the big box Lowe's or
          Home Depot, but a good, locally owned Ace or True Value type place. If
          it's a hardware store near a marina or that caters to boaters, your
          even more likely to find polypro webbing by the yard.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
          wrote:

          > I bought some fabric from the Cheap-Mart $1.00 bin. But I couldn't
          > find any polypropylene webbings. I went to another fabric shop and all
          > I could find were 1 inch cotton straps.
          >
          > I put the test hammock together in a few minutes and went down to the
          > park to test it out. I hung it low to the ground so if it broke I
          > wouldn't break my tail bone. I sat down slowly adding weight to the
          > thing. Snap! It broke. It was the el cheapo cotton straps. I'll have
          > to order some 1.5 inch poly stuff later.

        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 23, 2006
            Or check climbing shops. You don't need the strength of the flat
            tubular kind, but it'll work if that's all they have. Plus, it's
            multi-use as a climbing harness if you know how to tie one!

            Hrm...or go to a junkyard and cut the seatbelts out of a car. We used
            to use those as climbing harnesses (yes, I was a redneck).

            Or get the yellow poly-braid rope that Youngblood uses. It's common
            enough that many hardware stores, and probably some Walmarts, should
            carry it. Just look for a working load around 600 lbs.

            And don't feel bad about breaking a support. I broke some cheap rope
            once, and some 550 cord another time. Only one of them hurt...of
            course, I didn't fall on my bum in a public park, either! :p

            Now I use Spectra from a kitesurfing shop or polypro straps from Ed's
            website ( www.speerhammocks.com ).
          • rexhardy2003
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 24, 2006
              You may want to check back at your local Wal-Mart. Ours has the 1"
              poly strap in the fabric section. It was reasonable priced and thus
              far has held my 200lbs. Worth a shot anyway.

              Rex

              wrote:

              > I bought some fabric from the Cheap-Mart $1.00 bin. But I couldn't
              > find any polypropylene webbings. I went to another fabric shop and
              all
              > I could find were 1 inch cotton straps.
              >
              > I put the test hammock together in a few minutes and went down to
              the
              > park to test it out. I hung it low to the ground so if it broke I
              > wouldn't break my tail bone. I sat down slowly adding weight to the
              > thing. Snap! It broke. It was the el cheapo cotton straps. I'll have
              > to order some 1.5 inch poly stuff later.
              >
              > But I put about 3/4 of my weight into the hammock before the
              strapping
              > snapped. I liked the way it felt I wish it would have held my
              weight
              > because the sun was doing down right there along the river. It would
              > have been a nice way to spend the dusk.
              >
              > Any I'm sold. I'm probably buy some poly webbing to fully test it,
              > 'cause you can't beat nine bucks for a hammock.

            • marta_clark
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 24, 2006
                My local Wal-Mart superstore--which has never so far had any silnylon
                or other useful bargain fabrics--does carry the polypro webbing (in
                the fabric section, wound on a large spool), though it is more
                expensive than from the mailorder house I bought fabric for my most
                recent hammock project from.

                Marta

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@...>

              • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 25, 2006
                  I sat down slowly adding weight to the
                  > thing. Snap! It broke. It was the el cheapo cotton straps. I'll have
                  > to order some 1.5 inch poly stuff later.

                  Don't feel bad, I broke a strap a few weeks ago and the drop knocked
                  the wind out of me and scared the heck out of my dog. At least you
                  were smart enough to hang your hammock low to test it.

                  Brian
                  T-BACK
                • hana_hanger
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
                    I have those Tree Huggers so I did not need the extra polypropylene
                    webbings. So I tried hooking it directly to the hammock just in front
                    of the knot with large S hooks that came with the Tree Huggers
                    designed for heavy loads.

                    It took a few trys to get the material inside the s hook but it works
                    great. In the pictures one side is attached to a simple rope with
                    large hook...,I have out there all the time but the other side is
                    attached to the tree huggers. You may want to try that if you cannot
                    get the webbing soon enough.

                    We tested it with 160 lbs and up to 260 lbs with no problems. The knot
                    held and I know the S hooks are rated to 400 lbs.

                    I love the two we made and under 10 minutes to make and soooo comfy.
                    Thanks to Ed Speers and Risk for the idea of the Test Hammock :)