RE: Hammock Camping Sleeping pad

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5 8:57 AM
      Todd:

      I'm sure you'll get many positive opinions about space
      blankets. However, my personal opinion is that space
      blankets have NO heat reflecting properties in our
      application. They act as wind barriers only. Since your
      closed-cell pad is already windproof, I don't think the
      space blanket would add anything.

      The foam pad sold by David Olsen is great -- hard to beat
      the size. But for lower temps you'll want 3/8 or 1/2 inch of
      padding underneath you, whether by combining layers or by
      using a single, thick pad.

      I've used a single thickness of the Olsen foam to keep my
      shoulders warm, down to the high 40s only, and it works fine
      for that. It may work at even colder temps, but I just don't
      have any personal experience to report.

      Bear
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9 7:56 AM
        Bear, Todd,

        My take on reflective coverings:

        Experimentally, I found a "Refletix" bubble wrap/reflective pad to
        not be as warm as a Target blue 3/8 inch closed cell foam pad.

        However,

        just like with a thermos bottle,

        If you can arrange a reflective layer such that
        a) it is not in contact with what you want to keep warm and
        b) it is not in a chamber which has convection currents

        Then it may add something to warmth.

        A practical way to do this might be to put a space blanket in a
        hammock, cover that with a closed cell pad, and then sleep on the
        pad. The space blanket may add something as a reflector of Infrared
        light leaking through the pad back into the pad... To the extent
        that the surface touching the space blanket is air filled bubbles and
        not heat conductive plastic strands. Get the outside of the pad wet
        with condensation (great conductor of heat) and it would cause the
        space blanket to lose almost all it's potential effectiveness.

        Another practical way to do this would be to use a layer of refletivx
        between the hammock and a foam pad... But analysis of that is
        complicated by the multiple bubbles etc...

        Bear is completely correct as far as a space blanket being useless if
        the warm object is actually in contact with the relective layer... in
        that case, the heat is simply conducted through the thin layer just
        like it conducts directly through the hammock material to begin
        with. So sleeping on the space blanket does just about nothing.

        Practical conclusion: I believe most will find the utilty of using a
        reflective layer rests more in the air it traps than the use of the
        reflective material.